Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Photo Of The Chupacabra

fritz

Finally got the pic into my album. This is what it looked like after being found on the roadside (that's a Ful-O-Pep feed bag torn open that it's laying on)----

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fri...d_affiliate.jpg

fritz

fritz,about 30 years ago,while on a trip delivering a oilfield trailer to Brownsville,I saw what I still think was a coyote that looked a lot like that booger,but his hind legs didn't look that long.He was eat up with mange,and I knew what mange looked like from Dad raising birdogs for lots of years.He was so sick,that when I turned around and went back for a closer look,it just stood there beside the road,so I shot it(I would'nt do that nowadays).Maybe I shot a chupacabra thinking it was a coyote.It was so ugly and pitiful looking,I convienced myself it was a coyote.The rear legs is the weird part.I figured it was so sick,it was living off road kill,and didn't have the strenth to run away.Naw,I still think mine was a coyote.Jerry

I ask a couple Mexicans and a dude from Argentina I work with if they had ever heard of a chupacabra,and they said it was something to scare kids,like our boogerman,or boogieman for you dudes north of Red River.The Argentinian got made at me for asking him about something that has to do with Mexicans.My Mexican buddy said they look down on everyone that's not European like they are.My reply was they look just like Mexicans to me,and my friend said,"ya,and he swam across the Rio Grande just like my parents did".My friend also said when Mexico plays Argentina in soccer(football)and it lightnings,all the Argentines stand up and smile,because they think God is taking their picture.Sorry to get off subject again!! Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it is just a myth, but it has churned up a lot of interest around here. The lady who found the animal's carcass on her land, and sent in the remains to be examined (still not answered), has started selling Tee shirts with a depiction of the beast and the words "Summer of the Chupacabra, Cuero Texas".

Sales and interest have come from all over, even from a sick boy in a San Antonio hospital, who has shown improvement after being engrossed in the story. The lady, who has been interviewed in several news media, has promised to go there and give him a shirt and tell the story to him.

One comedian mentioned making "chalupacabras" from it.

Late- breaking news---I have been informed that a neighbor has killed one recently. Details later.

There was once a movie "The Commancheros" and the theme song that went "The Commancheros are taking this land!"

The chupacabras are taking this land!

fritz