Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Managing The Site

FC

I'm thinking I need to figure out who can help run the joint if I go back to Iraq. I put myself on the volunteer list. One of the head honchos at work wanted to know why I just got to Hawaii and would do this. I'm in a very busy job that simply doesn't present itself to a promotion board nearly as well as my last job. I used to be heavily involved in hospital policy, and really, major stuff that affected operations. Now I'm Head Nurse of Pulmonary Clinic. I don't have really much of anyone to supervise. It's a one-man show. I end up getting every single consult, have to research every one of those, figure out what to do with them, act on them, etc. I have to set up every doctor schedule, which changes constantly. It's a real pain in the rear function. I then go to a different computer system and open up every single time slot. I also teach asthma patients, give shots to them, and do sedation for bronchoscopies. That would be fine and well, but that is not the kind of work that will impress line officers at a LTC promotion board. I HAVE to make LTC (board in two years) by the second go-around or not be able to get an active duty retirement. Iraq looks 1000% better to a board. It shows wartime function, and leadership that makes more of an impact. The boards only have one nurse, and the rest are line officers, if I understand it right. Besides the grace of God, I can't see how I made major as no. 4, first time around, except that I was in Iraq, and I was one of the "Battle Captains".

I waxed too long here just to say that I need to figure out how this place will run if I end up going. It might not happen, but best to plan. I know Karl has cleaned up some stuff here, and Tom has too. Tom has the computer knowledge, and maybe more time than some? I'm just looking for ideas from you folks.

Tony,

I know how much stress it can be trying to get that next promotion, the officer world is a lot more cutthroat than the enlisted side of the house. I just recycled Ranger school, made it through mountains but got peered and now I'm starting Darby again in about a week. All the "three years and out" Lieutenants who got recycled took a drop, all of us who know we'll be in for the next decade or so know we need the tab to be competitive. You do what you have to do to succeed, all of us here will support you any way we can.

Who knows, maybe by the time I get out of Ranger school we'll meet up over in the big sandbox :)

Jimro

Yeah, I was wondering how you were doing. I didn't know there was a peer review of Ranger school?

You can't have a good OER, then just do less important stuff, and hope for the best.

If I'm reading you right, you have to recycle part of the course?

I'll help out if you want me to. I don't know anything about the invision board stuff, but I'm a fairly quick learner.

Also, I noticed the board was asking me to login every time I turned around last week and did the weird "your message wasn't entered here it is again" thing.

Dr.Hess

Tom, Karl, Dr. Hess, I clicked you as "Admin". Hopefully that sets you up so you can do administrative things. Fritz, and some of you others who've been around a long time, if you want the same priviledges, let me know.

If you ever go to validating members- anything that ends with .ru for an address is deleted. I look at the names, and the domains. If they are some drug, sex, or looks like just a bunch of letters hurriedly typed, I delete them.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Tony. All I can say is I hear where you're coming from ie: promotions. If you do go to Iraq, may god be with you always. Don't worry about the board here, We'll keep the light on for ya! Dave : :)

OK, I can login to the CP. Dunno what I'm doing, and of the 8 pending members, most of them look suspicious to me, so I'm just gonna sit here and let othere make the decisions and help out when I see something I can do.

Yeah, Tony, if you gotta go back to the sand box, be sure to keep your head down. Your current position sounds like a shiite job. Having been around a hospital, I can pick right up on that. I don't blame you on looking for a way out of it.

Tony,

I will echo what strait shooter said about promotions and we will be fine if and when you do go out of country. You have set us up real good, and I thank you again for all your work.

I understand about promotions, and the LC rank is just about mandatory to get a good retirement. Let's face it fellow, you ain't no kid no mo!

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

fritz

Thanks Fritz. Actually, I have to make LTC to retire. The reason is because theoretically, you can't be passed over twice without potentially getting the boot, which means no retirement. The powers that be have to approve the volunteer, which may or may not happen, since I've got some asthma, and don't hear worth a hoot. We'll see; could take two weeks to hear back.

Karl, I was USAF enlisted 84-91, then went to the Army Reserve in 96, then active duty late 2002. Yeah, I made rank quick, but if you don't keep making rank they can discharge you. :blink:

Anyway, thanks fellas. The thing that makes this place work is that everybody that is involved is this site- there's no "I" in the word "team".