Military Firearm Restoration Corner

10 Years Goes By Fast

911rat

"If you haven't figured it out already, the older you get the faster they go. "

Ain't that the truth! Saturday we had my high school class reunion, 45 years. Both me and mrs fritz were members of that class of '62. This was a class of fifty kids, and three couples in it were going "steady" and all three married and are still married (to each other).

One couple couldn't make the reunion, and some of the ones who live distant couldn't make it. But there was about half the class there, not bad after 45 years.

Of course, there is always the old yearbooks, the school newspapers, the old football programs from those days. One of the autograph books that a very petite girl had us sign in '62 had this entry from a fellow---"When you get old and out of shape, remember that girdles are only $2.98".

She is still petite, one of the few who have not gotten to needing that girdle.

Yes, the years fly by. I thought that me and mrs fritz were married a long time, but one of the girls claimed 46 years. I believe she made a mistake, since she was single on graduation night.

fritz

Got my 40th reunion coming up next year. Don't know if I'm up to dealing with some of the snobbery and BS again. I wish some arsholes would just come right out and ask "what is your net worth" before they dump a bunch of questions and go into details of well off they are. At the 20th two were later exposed as phonys, one claiming to being an undercover DEA agent turned out to be an employee of or possibly the owner of a mom and pop security guard company in a small town in Texas. A woman that bragged about her husband and family, had neither. She spent a good portion of the 20 years in prison for drugs and armed robbery.

The ones I went to school with that really turned out sucessfull are almost always friendly and rarely ask personal questions. One gal in paticular, in high school she was hot, to good for any guys her age. She is now wealthy, living in Palm Spring after making her fortune with a chain of high end teenage clothing stores and importing women's shoes and handbags. She is now so outgoing and friendly she could charm anybody right out of their pants. Another woman that inherited 1/7 of her grandfather's multi-billion dollar company was all the way back to grade school and still is. She pretty much sat alone at the 30th and left early. I don't expect she will attend next year.

At my 30th I had to deal with a rude and beligerent hog and dirty looks all night from her large black husband. I'm not sure being that I was only 15 but I might have gotton her virginity. One thing I do recall was her being the aggressor but that was long before she weighed 300+ lbs. Her first husband was kia in Nam while she was home having somebody else's kid. When I get together with old pals and we all brag about our high school cars or our beer guzzling boondockers after football games or dances is something to look forward to. If the discussions turn into stories of female conquests, somebody's sister or who dated (or did) whom I bailing out.

The hard part is learning about those that have passed away since the last reunion.

Good for you- I'm happy for you both. Great accomplishment!

Yup, you're right Fritz. I remember "The Rifleman". Micah said to Lucas that the years are, "like the wind across your cheek, Lucas boy, like the wind across your cheek".

My kids think I'm so old, but what they don't know is that I remember those days when I was their age are so close I could touch them.

AzRedneck,

What was the size of your class? Sounds like it was bigger than mine. We had fifty in our class, and of course there were a few that were above the rest, but not especially so. And they mellowed over the years, or just didn't show up this year.

I know how it is about class reunions, there is always the uncertainty about whether you will make a fool out of yourself. But I just have a few shots of schnapps before, and the rest just falls into place.

I know that I can now say some things to the old girls that I didn't have the guts to do so 45 years ago. Time not only heals old wounds, but it creates new opportunities.

fritz

BTW, I had to post this twice---the glitch is still there.

Congrats to ya 911rat. may ya have many more.My lady an' I done 32 year stretch so far. Plan on a lot more. Keep doin' what yer doin' an' ya'll do just fine. Take care. Dave

AzRedneck,

What was the size of your class?

If I remember correctly it was about 270-280. A couple shots would probably make some of the arsholes a little more tolerable but I rarely touch the stuff anymore. It is easier to avoid them. I'm one of those type that get into trouble with my mouth, fist fights, wake up in strange beds and spend way to much money when I've been drinking, so I do my best to avoid it. 2 or 3 is my limit, if I go for the fourth there will be plenty more and I'm in deep doodo. My last drunk I dropped a credit card on the bar, bought a round, with some jerk ordering a bottle, and woke up in an expensive hotel suite with a married woman. I don't think I've had more than one beer or shot since. In the 70's I put a guy in the hospital in a bar room fight over a woman. I barely remembered it and the only thing that saved me from the law was his pulling a knife and I was crazy enough to take it away.

Boy, does it ever.

Seems like I just met the Hippy and we are working on 30 years!!!

I recall planing to come to Cali: Start a gun collection, buy a house, trying to get a history job like it was yesterday and it has been 20 years!!

Heck our site is about 7 years old.

Karl.

Just got back. We had rented a cabin in Northern Michigan after spending a night at a bed and breakfast. We spent 2 days visiting wineries and tasting wine. I'm not much of a wine drinker except with the right meal. We bought about 2 cases and I've been asked to build a wine rack for the basement. I hadn't seen the wine country in our state and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. The scenery is beautiful.

You guys are correct about time going by faster and faster every year. What a journey the last 10 years has been.

Pat