Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Voere Mauser

z1r

Newest trade.

Jason reminded me that I just traded for this unique mauser.

nnn%20018.JPG

Here's the neat part, a tang safety.

kky%20015.JPG

Neat treatment of the original military shroud:

ggtyu%20063.JPG

Check out the cool QD ring setup.

ggtyu%20058.JPG

Caliber, .30-06, one can't have too many.

B) Cool mauser dude. Have ya got enuff yet? Oh, Found a box for the barrel, will send this payday. Short last week. anyway, very nice indeedy.Dave

Z if it is like my Voere, the tang safety was the first thing to go, replaced by a Timney. I was going to glass bed the tang in place, to take care of the ugly hole but some how managed to lose it. Mine also walks high right as the free floated barrel heats up. The nice thing though is the over-all lightweight and I just love the mag assembly. Mine is in 308 Norma, my first mag, purchased new apx 72. I shot a deer through the xpress type sights. My front sight hood was gone after the first shot.

B) Cool mauser dude. Have ya got enuff yet?

Never, lol.

Oh, Found a box for the barrel, will send this payday. Short last week. anyway, very nice indeedy.Dave

I was trying to figure out who the heck that was, lol. Thanks again. They always come in handy. I'd be glad to cover shipping.

Z if it is like my Voere, the tang safety was the first thing to go, replaced by a Timney. I was going to glass bed the tang in place, to take care of the ugly hole but some how managed to lose it. Mine also walks high right as the free floated barrel heats up. The nice thing though is the over-all lightweight and I just love the mag assembly. Mine is in 308 Norma, my first mag, purchased new apx 72. I shot a deer through the xpress type sights. My front sight hood was gone after the first shot.

I've got so many -06's that I may never really use this one. Mostly it is to use as a reference. Some folks like Tang safeties so I want to study the various designs.

After Timney’s installed mine, Mr Timney the founder’s son expresses interest in seeing the Voere trigger and safety after I bought him the stripped barreled action. I returned it the next day and he had it a few days before calling me. He remarked the adjustable trigger assembly had 11 parts where 5 would have worked as well if not better. He said the consumer better know exactly what he is doing if he fools with the adjustment. I never touched the adjustment because it was as near perfect as a trigger I’ve ever used. He also said something along the lines of the safety being typical Austrian pride engineering. Works excellent as is but allows no leave way for consumer tampering or wear. I recall my tang safety being difficult to move in the cold weather and sometimes just being stubborn for no apparent reason at all, sometimes needing two thumbs to get it forward, never recall having a big problem engaging it but sometimes for no reason would be difficult to disengage.

If you have had the light weight mag assembly out yet how do like it?? Wish I could get my hands on a few!! They are available through Voere in Austria, a member of this group had contacted them apx a year ago but we never got a price. Last time I looked in their catalog, doing the monetary conversion the price wasn’t to bad. I’ll see if I still have their PDF file. You may also like their newer bolt shrouds for Mausers and if I remember correctly they also made a double trigger, tang safety for their 98 Mausers.

From what I’ve heard of Voere Austria, they were a very successful operation with their biggest market being European. They however ran into financial trouble after investing heavily into caseless ammunition and rifles they produced to shoot it. Voere Austria is not the Voere in Germany that produced the original Weatherby Mausers. Whether or not there is a connection between the two Voere’s is a mystery. Voere Austria opened it’s doors a few years after Voere Germany sold out. Whomever it is that holds the rights to the Mauser trade mark and logo is the one that bought them out but I just can't recall who.

• 4 weeks later...

DUDE! I just bought one of those...it's a cougar, isn't it? Mines 7mm rem mag. Gonna give it to my bro. in law so he can build a 458 win mag. He already has one in 300 win mag. He'll be the only guy i know of with two of these...and I never heard of them before he got his. Now I gotta find an action to build MY 458 on...(couldn't let him have one without having my own too...).

John

DUDE! I just bought one of those...it's a cougar, isn't it?

John

Read the side of the barrel, it says Cougar Voere. Been told Cougar is the first name of somebody in the Voere family. Sure wish I could get another but the prices I've seen are way out of line. I got mine, factory chambered in 308 Norma apx 1971 for somewhere between 150-200. Broke the original stock and bought a replacement a few years ago on Gunbroker.

Read the side of the barrel, it says Cougar Voere. Been told Cougar is the first name of somebody in the Voere family. Sure wish I could get another but the prices I've seen are way out of line. I got mine, factory chambered in 308 Norma apx 1971 for somewhere between 150-200. Broke the original stock and bought a replacement a few years ago on Gunbroker.

Yep, Cougar Voere. Interesting on the name. My bro.-in-laws .300 had a broken stock too. He spliced and patched it himself with more attention to utility than beauty, so now it's kinda ugly. The 7mm is pretty nice, though those '70's era stocks don't appeal to me. Shoulda taken pic's, I guess, but it looks just like z1r's.

John