Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rain, Rain, And More Rain

fritz

This has to be the wettest year in Texas history, at least along the coastal plains. July set a record in my area for most rain in that month, and it didn't come from a hurricane or tropical storm. Just plain old rain from a low pressure feature that refused to move off.

August is not going to set a record on amount of rain, but will probably set a record for most days of rain in that month (august is usually dry here). I have been having one helluva time getting hay baled dry. Today I finally baled up what was cut, after raking it 5 times (4 today). Sure enough, right after getting the baler back to the barn, it cut loose again. I bale in big round bales so it is safe as soon as it hits the ground. But unless it is moved to high ground, it will set in water. It's the schitts, I tell you.

And the week ahead only promises more rain, from a wave offshore. It's predicted to go south of Corpus Christi, but I will bet it goes here also. I guess I should be glad that Dean went to Mexico instead of hitting us. mrs fritz, with the State Health Dept., was all set to move up to Kelly AFB in San Antonio to take in the evacuated folks. But it never happened.

Kinda reminds me of the movie where Curly was asked if he had killed anybody today----his answer, "The day ain't over yet!" Yep, the year ain't over yet, and the rain ain't over yet.

Why did my German ancestors settle here? mrs fritz says it's because this is where the wheels fell off the wagon. Maybe she's right. But I wonder what it would be like if they made it to Fredericksburg.

fritz

"That was pretty funny. How many other Germans settled there? "

Well, let me put it this way--enough that the "powers that be" did not take kindly to the name that they gave to the community that they founded (Germantown), and they were coerced into changing the name of THEIR community.

Thay renamed it Schroeder, in honor of the first local boy who was killed in France. He just happened to be of German descent and was fighting for OUR country. Not that it mattered, it seems.

I am proud of my German blood and will always remember how my folks were treated here, even after many of them served in OUR armed forces. It just didn't seem to matter.

BTW, today is the birthday of mrs fritz. She shares the same date with the "favorite son" of Texas' birthday. Three guesses who that is, and the first two don't count!

Hint----he drafted me.

fritz