Military Firearm Restoration Corner

9x18 Markarov Pistols

roscoedoh

Guys,

Does anyone have an opinion on 9x18 Markarovs? Good, bad, or ill? Would anyone use one as a carry gun?

They seem to be everywhere right now and pretty affordable. Are they worth the $150-$200 everyone is asking for them?

Thanks!

Jason

i have a polish P-64. my intention is to use it as a carry gun... just havent gone through the paperwork. 9x18 is between .380 and 9x19 in power. my gun is accurate and fun to shoot. it bucks pretty hard and the trigger is tough, but it's made to carry cocked and locked, so a heavy DA trigger is a plus. i like it!

I don't have one but most of the posts I have read seem to think well of Markarov.

It appears to be a well made pistol. The price is not bad when you consider that for $200 bucks these days you cannot get a cap and ball revolver.

karl

Can't speak on the quality or value as I don't own one. What I did hear from a shooting instructor, the Mack is the best bet for teaching a woman to shoot. The instructor preferred to teach women to shoot revolvers but if the woman or her husband insisted on an auto pistol he strongly encouraged them to choose the Mack for the coarse. Can't recall exactly why but safety and reliability comes to mind as the reasons. My blind shooting friend did exactly that being unable to teach his wife, himself. He bought a cheapie East German and later got her a near mint Russian model. His wife now shoots it very well, knows how to clear jams and surprisingly the instructor taught her how to tear it down and clean it.

I didn't shoot either pistol but handled both. The quality of the Russian model was by far superior to the East German model. I remember the Markarov pistols fetching a high price in the 70's. The very few in the country at the time were bring backs from Vietnam and even rusted junkers would get at least $500.

• 1 month later...

Hey Jason! I don't hardly ever scroll below the sporterizing thread anymore...

I have one I inherited, although I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet. (shame on me) What I can say is that I'm impressed by the apparent quality and workmanship. The fit and finish is nice, and the action cycles smoothly. I guess that like Mausers, they can vary. I believe mine is German, but I could verify later if you're interested.

My only complaint is that the grip seems a little blocky for my hands, but my Father in law put aftermarket grips on it and his hands were bigger. I was pondering the same thing as you several years ago until I got this one under unfortunate circumstances. I'd handle a few before you make the decision, but my vote is that they are a good value.

On second thought, I don't particularly care for the magazine release on the bottom of the well. This makes dropping an empty mag a two handed affair, and precludes you from reaching for a fresh one while ditching the old one.

Cuz I get jumped by PCP crazed thugs pretty frequently in the office, and have to pump multiple magazines worth of ammo into them!

Ihad a P-64 and liked it but I got a good deal on a comercial Mak. Igot rid of the P-64 and kept the Mak. The Mak seemed easier to shoot and more accurate to me. Alittle bigger but holds 2 more rounds. This one was brandnew Bakail. Igot it for 160 and plan on keepping it in my truck. I If I ever get around to getting my concealed license.

I found wood grips at www.MARSHALGRIPS.com. 30 bucks,$5.00 shipping from Hungary.They have them for most pistols,including PA-63's and Mak's. If you don't have either one of the little guns,GET ONE. Jerry

I likre mine a lot. It's east German. Shoots great, and though ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be it is reasonable. I had thought that it would be a good carry gun especially since you end up having to leave them in the truck so often due to the prohibitions of carry into certain places. I figured better to loose the Mak than my colt if someone breaks into the truck.