Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got Hit Today

spec4 e4

I pulled over on the shoulder, to get more info from the load planner. The address is what change and we were getting new dirction. I put my haz lites on and put the truck in parked. As I was looking at the map and programming the GPS and big U. S. Army wrecher hit my driver side mirrors. They just keep going down the road. We call 911 and they was pulled into the Wa. state DOT scale for us to catch up to them. Boy they were friendly bunch. I feel sorry for the spc that got the ticket. :( . But I reither have him get the ticket then me.

spec.4

I pulled over on the shoulder, to get more info from the load planner. The address is what change and we were getting new dirction. I put my haz lites on and put the truck in parked. As I was looking at the map and programming the GPS and big U. S. Army wrecher hit my driver side mirrors. They just keep going down the road. We call 911 and they was pulled into the Wa. state DOT scale for us to catch up to them. Boy they were friendly bunch. I feel sorry for the spc that got the ticket. :( . But I reither have him get the ticket then me.

spec.4

###### happens and that should be the lest of his worrys

Reminds of an accident I had with a Postal vehicle. I pulled off a busy street to make a delivery to a nursery. A City of Phoenix truck takes out my passenger side mirror with his a couple minutes later. Bear in mind Postal delivery vehicles have the steering on the right and it appeared from my driver’s side I pulled over far enough. I should have pulled over another foot and he shouldn’t have hit a stationary object. Both agencies send out their so-called expert accident investigators that get into an argument over fault while bragging of their credentials and expertise. The Postal investigator kind of rubbed it in showing up with a few thousand dollars worth of photo, video, audio equipment and a clerk-steno assistant. The city guy shows up in a junker Jeep with cheapie Polaroid. The police show and I thought I was had thinking he’d take the side of his fellow city employee. The cop didn’t get between the two “experts” instead he left with a big sh!t eating grin on his face shaking his head without asking either of us drivers anything other than if we were injured. Neither one of us got a ticket and I wasn’t disciplined. Earlier that year I got a week off for an at fault wreck and was sweating bullets over it. I assume it all ended in the round file as I sure as hell wasn’t going to bring it up.

I really feel sorry for the Spc. and the ticket is the less of his worry. Cost over $400 to replace both mirrors and put back the housing. Here is an few pics but I keep out our truck number. I figured that the Army will make him pay for the damages and put an letter in his files. :( . I still can not figure out how he missed my trailer and still hit my mirrors? His captain made sure we were both fine and I asked about his soldiers if they were fine also. His main worry was that we was fine. I had our driver side window up and reflect any glass from the mirrors, but it sounded like an shotgun going off.

spec.4

post-26-1189279483_thumb.jpg

post-26-1189279600_thumb.jpg

An accident like knocking the rear-view mirror off reminds me of something that happened to a Mexican friend.

This was back when cars were not required to have turn signals, and you just stuck out your arm--straight out for a left turn, out and up for a right turn.

This fellow was struck by a passing car as he was turning left, it tore off his rear fender and running board. When the officer arrived at the scene, he asked if the fellow had stuck his arm out to signal. He replied, "Hell, that guy tore off my fender and my running board, do you think I was crazy enough to stick out my arm for him to tear off too?"

fritz

I was certainly surprised when I visited rural Illinois a few years ago to see people there were still using arm signals even if they have turn signals. My guess is it comes from habit or just using good common sense from putting farm equipment on highways. I imagine today in a big city like Phoenix arm signals would be useless. A few years ago I saw an old restored VW bus stick out a reflective semaphore and signal a left turn.