Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Adams And Bennett Any Good?

scott63

Hi Scott63. I have 2 A&B barrels ,a 243 and a 300winny. Both shoot 3/4" groups @ 150yds bench rest. No foulling here as I coated the barrels w/ molydeniumdysulfide. I too,funds pending,would buy a couple more. Dave

My only experience is with an A&B 257 Roberts barrel that I did not install myself. No complaints but I'm convinced I got exactly what I paid for. I did have some fouling problems that seemed to improve with use. If you have been "spoiled" by high priced premium barrels you will be disappointed. If you're like me, been shooting mil-surps or through iron sights for a long time, you will be more than satisfied with the accuracy. Mine is definitely within acceptable killing zone accuracy and it wont embarrass me at the range. As far as the extra scrubbing just tell yourself how much less it cost than a high priced barrel.

If you have a perfectionist type personality, best to save your bux and wait until you can get a better one.

My only experience is with an A&B 257 Roberts barrel that I did not install myself. No complaints but I'm convinced I got exactly what I paid for. I did have some fouling problems that seemed to improve with use. If you have been "spoiled" by high priced premium barrels you will be disappointed. If you're like me, been shooting mil-surps or through iron sights for a long time, you will be more than satisfied with the accuracy. Mine is definitely within acceptable killing zone accuracy and it wont embarrass me at the range. As far as the extra scrubbing just tell yourself how much less it cost than a high priced barrel.

If you have a perfectionist type personality, best to save your bux and wait until you can get a better one.

Nice post. My experience has been that they foul easily, not all but most. My take is that if you pay someone then spend the extra $50 or so and get a premium barrel. If you are doing the work yourself, then you don't stand to lose as much. Now, to put things in perspective, they are probably on par with many factory barrels.

I used one once on one of my personal guns. It will shoot 1" with some loads but I am used to sub moa and have gotten that will all other brands of better barrels. As AZR said, that is good enough to bag game with, but the German in me won't accept it, lol.

but the German in me won't accept it, lol.

Guess it was me being cheap from my Scottish bloodline. I got the barrel from a Midway promotion that included a stock. Can't recall the price but it was cheap. I used it with a 98/22 action out of a cracked stock mil-surp that was heavily pitted in a few spots that certainly wasn't worth an expensive barrel. Again I can't recall the numbers but the smith that put it in would have sold me a Douglas or another brand name I don't recall for $60 more than what was then Midway's current A&B price. At best one is rolling dice with A&B, might or might not get a good one.

I used an A&B barrel on a Twede project. After shooting about 60 rounds of jacketed bullets through it, I cleaned it thoroughly to get all the copper out then fire-lapped it with a Beartooth kit.

There's other fire-lapping kits, but what I liked about this one was it uses soft lead bullets you roll yourself on steel plates using 320 grit in a grease paste. Kind of tedious, but you control the quality and quantity of the grit embedded in the slugs.

Before lapping, using some strong lights and a strong magnifying glass peering down into the muzzle of this A&B barrel I could see some fine lines running radial to the bore, both on the lands and grooves. Don't know if those are button or cutter "chatter" marks, but they looked rough enough to me.

Fired six fire-lapping rounds over squib loads then clean, then six more, and so forth. After 48 rounds, those radial marks in the bore disappeared.

If I do my part this rifle will print cloverleafs w/120g Sierra's over 48g of RL22 @ 100 yds.

Now, could I have gotten these results w/o fire-lapping the A&B barrel? Maybe. Maybe after 1,000 rounds or more of jacked bullets to burnish the bore surfaces to an equilvent finish.

Or bought a much more expensive barrel that's already lapped? Maybe.

The A&B barrel worked for me, and I didn't mind the extra work to get the results I wanted.

Nels