Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Deer Season

ChasMike

Hunting season is just around the corner here in Texas and my neck is starting to swell. I hung a game camera down at the lease and I'm getting lots of pictures ( deer, pigs, turkeys, and even a few exotics passing by my deer stand).

Last year I took 4 whitetail off this lease and the year before I took 3 whitetails and two nice Axis bucks.

Man you talk about good eating those Axis deer are good. My wife and I eat a lot of venison, we substitute it for hamburger in a lot of dishes. You wouldn't think two people could eat five deer a year but we do. We very seldom buy meat. We have a couple of get togethers a year at the house and I make a great big pot of deer chili and feed the whole gang (usually 50 or so).

I love hunting with my sporters. It adds another dimension when you hunt with a rifle that you built. My only problem is which one to take hunting each time I go. I have a 6.5 that I built on a turk action with a 94 Swede barrel that I would not take money for, it will shoot clover leafs with the 130 grain TSX all day. It will be my gun for around home. Not as many deer around here but they are a lot bigger than those hill country deer. Just built a 22-250 on a Yugo 24/47 action with a mid-weight ER Shaw barrel, it likes the 60 grain Nosler partitions and should be perfect for those smaller Texas hill country deer. I ordered this barrel long chambered and Sonic1 mounted it for me. (He lives just across the Red River from me)

Well I've rambled long enough. I think you get the point. I'm ready to go hunting!

Later,

Mike

Mike, is your lease in the hill coutry if so where abouts. My brothers and I have a place in Rocksprings and one of them has a little place in Leakey. The place in Leakey has Axis , Sika and Auodad. Went out last week to take appliances out to the little house he built and saw Sika buck and some Aoudad. Nice and green out there from all the rain we have had.

Mark,we don't here from Mike much anymore,so I'll stick my neck out and tell you he hunts near Llano.From the hunting reports we've gotten from the last couple years,he's got a whale of a lease,and goes often taking his family,which to me,is a great thing.Having a place around Leaky is only something I can dream about.Your brother is a lucky dude.If ya'll need another brother,just holler.Jerry

Jerry you been inhaling too many fumes from those Peterbilt trucks you been buildin. My lease in near Utopia, just a hop skip and a jump from Leakey. If you turn back east in Leakey and go over the mountains your first stop is Vanderpool and your next stop is Utopia.

We've been on that lease for about 6 years now and wouldn't give it up for the world. The owners are kinda like family now.

We do have the exotics passin thru there every now and then. Our lease is all low fence except for some areas that have no fence at all.

We've seen Fallow Deer, Axis, Aoudad, Mouflon, Red Stag and the owner said he saw an Elk pass thru last season. One thing for sure its never boring. You never know what you might see next.

Later,

Mike

I forgot to mention my other brother has 35ac. in Utopia. In Jan. We are going to frame his house. He plans on movng out there From San Antonio when it's finished. My wifes nephew is also very familiar with Utopia. His good friend runs the feed store or general store in town. Beautiful country.

Sorry Mike! I don't know where in the devil I got Llano.I remember now you had been through London where I use to hunt,or is that some more fumes kicking in.Always be kind to old people.They can't help themselves.Jerry

Mark you have some very fortunate brothers. Land in Leakey and Utopia. I'd move down to that country in a heartbeat if I could. My wife loves it down there too.

Jerry you are right, we go thru London on our way down and back to the lease every time.

I don't bowhunt any more I have too many back and neck problems so we will go down to the lease in a couple weeks and make sure everything is up to par and ready for gun season.

I'm seeing some deer activity at my feeders up here at home but man the weeds are so high and thick the deer have to be at the feeder to see them. Have a feeling early hunting is gonna be tough up here. Gonna need an ice storm to knock all these weeds down.

Jerry you going back to West Texas this year?

Later,

Mike

Ya Mike,I'm going muledeer hunting again this Dec. I got on a little 2 man deer lease north of St. Jo too.It's 120 acres on whats called the Bulcher Bluff.It's right where I done a lot of my growing up,so it'll be a good place to hang out.We have broom weeds almost shoulder high here too.I noticed there's a big acorn crop this year and they're starting to fall,so that ought to slow down feeder activity for a while.Utopia was truly a fitting name.It would be my no. place to retire.A few years back,Junction made the top 10 list in Texas Monthly for best places to retire because of property taxes,climate,and they have a very good hospital for you when you stroke out.I could live in Junction.Not nearly as pretty as Utopia,but it'd work.I'll send you an email later Mike.4:30am is too early to think straight.Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice buck. He's so fat from from all the rain earlier,and now a big acorn crop,it makes his neck look like it's swelling.Surely it's just from fat.He really looks fat all over.You have a good game camera,'cause that's a nice,clear picture.Jerry