Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Concealed Carry

swamprat

If I have a weapon thats is over 100 years old it is not considered a weapon by the BATFE. If I was to carry that weapon( not considered so by the BATFE) concealed would I need a concealed carry permit? If its not considered a weapon by BATFE then how can it be concealed? Or a weapon? Or anything else?

Whats your take? Is this a concealed weapon or not? Remember it's over 100 years old.

swamprat

Whats your take? Is this a concealed weapon or not? Remember it's over 100 years old.

swamprat

I don't think it would work Swampy. At least here in Arizona the state law about concealed carry says weapon. A weapon at least in my mind could mean a club, knife or antique firearm. A prosecutor could push it to something as simple as an ice pick, screw driver, cresent wrench or a large rock. Az law does allow an exemption for pocket knives under a certain length.

Ever considered a permit?? Pretty simple in Az if one has a clean police record. It was a little difficult getting the first one having to attend classes and pass a pretty simple test that included range time. Since then I've re-newed it twice, last time all I had to do was send the money and a fingerprint card.

Swamp,

I understand your question and the point you're trying to make. My answer is it will depend on your district attorney whether or not you would be charged with carrying a concealed weapon if arrested for carrying without a permit. I personally recommend a CHL if you want to carry any type of concealed firearm - be it made yesterday or a hundred years ago. Better to be safe than sorry.

Jason is right.

It will all depend on your district attorney---he is the one who will, or will not, prosecute you. I used to hear people in Texas say that their district attorney said it was OK to carry a pistol if they were transporting valuables (like the day's store receipts).

Texas law at the time did not have any exemption for transporting valuables. You could be arrested the same as anyone else. But since the case would go to the district attorney who told you it was OK, then (if he was true to his word) you would not be prosecuted.

The District Attorney is a powerful person. Here in Victoria, we elected a new DA last election. He has thrown out a lot of cases that the previous DA had filed, with the reason given that there was a lack of evidence when the previous DA went to court. He is catching hell for it, but he is right. A DA should not indict a person on mere opinion. There must be enough evidence to convict before going to court, or you are just wasting everybody's time.

fritz