Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Round Muzzle Loader Barrels

724wd

how come muzzle loader barrels are so heavy? i have been dreaming here for a while about building a muzzle loader that looks like a ruger no. 1, and a round, trimmer barrel would be the bees knees..... i guess i am just looking for a challenge, and making a gun from scratch would be just that. i see the percussion cap inline or close to it with the hammer either hidden by the stock, maybe activated with a lever like the #1. has to be a percussion cap to hunt with in washington, no #9 primers. what would be considered a safe diameter around the ignition area on a muzzle loader? am i incredibly crazy here?

heath

• 1 month later...

Heath,

I have a .54 cal thompson center new englander barrel (round) with the breech plug removed. It has sights and ramrod thimbles. It has slight marks and rust from the breech plug removal but it could be turned down. If interested let me know, I'm looking for a chopped mauser stock. The breech is 11/16-20 thread.