Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Texan

swamprat

Thought ya'll might like this one.

The Texan,

A Texan is riding his horse through a pasture when he sees a man drinking

water from a stock tank with one of his hands.

The Texan shouts,"Hey don't drink that water, It has

cow sh** in it!

The Man shouts back, "Soy mexicano, yo no entiendo inglés.

Hábleme español." (I'm Mexican, I don't speak English. Speak

Spanish to me)

The Texan shouts back, "Utilice ambas manos, usted

conseguirá más para beber." (Use both hands, you'll get more

to drink).

Swamprat

Got to add one more thing.It was a Texan that came up with that story,'cause I never heard no one but Texans and a few So. Oklahomans call a waterhole a stock tank.East Tex. they're pools,and the Germans around Muenster call them ponds,but to most everyone else,they're stock tanks or just tanks.Please let me know if or how wrong I am.Jerry

We have a Tank just on the other side of our property line. It's used mostly for watering lawns around here. One guy has water rights and then sells to all our neighbors who water three times a day. Anyway, they all look at me funny when I call it a Tank.

Tank water is from a hole in the ground. That is what we Texans call a tank, unlike the folks up north.

My sister-in-law, a born and raised Texan from oil field and farm folks, married a fellow in Kansas. They visited us one time and she produced this glass bottle and said she needed to fill it with "tank" water.

So I took her down to the tank and we filled it with the water that the cows drank (and schitt in). Then she took the bottle of tank water back to Kansas and showed her yankee friends what tank water is.

They assumed it came from a metal container, and there was no such thing as a tank being a hole in the ground. She proved them wrong.

fritz

Got to add one more thing.It was a Texan that came up with that story,'cause I never heard no one but Texans and a few So. Oklahomans call a waterhole a stock tank.East Tex. they're pools,and the Germans around Muenster call them ponds,but to most everyone else,they're stock tanks or just tanks.Please let me know if or how wrong I am.Jerry

Jerry,

FWIW, we've always called 'em "ponds" and pools are the big concreted things in rich peoples' yards that you swim in. I never heard them called a tank or stock tank till I started runnin' with some folks from out near Abilene. I ain't sayin' your right or wrong though - everyday I live, the more I find out I don't know.

-Jason

Jason,all my wifes folks live around Clarksville,Avery,New Boston area,and when I say East Tex.,that's what I mean.When they say they're going down to the pool by the switch cane break to try and catch some white perch,they mean they're going down to the tank where there's some cane growing to catch a crappie.They sure have a different way of speaking.Jerry