Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Soon To Be Squirrel Slayer

ShooterTom

Where you going squirrel hunting,Grasslands? Fried or grilled squirrel is my 2nd favorite game.I'm glad you found a place to shoot.You'll be paid back a jillion times for being a good Dad.Jerry

Thanks all, I'm so dang proud I could burst. He has shot a .22 for a couple years now but this was the first shotgun. After the first shot he had a huge grin :lol: He proceded to empty two boxes of shells. He had a strawberry on his shoulder that night, that he was very proud of!

Dave, It is a Harrington & Richardson youth singleshot 20ga It fits him pretty good any pumps etc. we looked at were still a bit big and heavy for him . Jerry we were shooting in the grasslands in area 3 You take 287 bus and turn west onto cr1590 about four miles. They allow target pratice with shotguns and bows. The grasslands is where we will go hunting and see how it goes.

Thanks Tom

A youngster tends to remember such things for quit a while.

The now a gunsmith, that lived 6 doors up the street one day when I was about 10

thought that he might get a laugh. He handed me a 1911 and threw a cat food can

out in the yard and told me to shoot the can.

Well I never actually hit the can, BUT the can jumped and hopped with each

squeeze of the trigger. The now a gunsmith was impressed.

And I still remember that day.

Tinker

I have no doubt that the story told by Tinker is true, but I have heard stories from some friends that were their version of how they got their father to buy them their first rifle.

The one that comes to mind is this one---My friend tells me that there was a crow sitting in a tree 300 yards from the house. His father told him that if he could hit the crow with the .22 he let him use, he could have the rifle.

He says he hit the crow. With a .22 at 300 yards. Well, maybe it was not quite 300 yards, maybe not quite 200 yards. But he hit the crow and got the rifle.

We have been friends all our lives, and far be it from me to question if it was true or not. I have come up with my share of tall tales myself.

fritz

He says he hit the crow. With a .22 at 300 yards. Well, maybe it was not quite 300 yards, maybe not quite 200 yards. But he hit the crow and got the rifle.

fritz

The story reminds dearly of an encounter my now deceased younger brother had with our father. My parents were divorced and my dad didn't realize my brother's natural talent with a guitar at 12 years old. My brother picked up a rather pricy 12 string classical guitar in a music store. Dad likely having a few to many made a remark about what are you going to play Classical Gas. My brother simply said ok and sure enough dad said if you can play it I'll buy the guitar. My brother got the guitar.

Tom, way to go!! First thing I noticed is dad put muffs on those young ears. Some of the best times I had with my twins was taking them target shooting with an old Winchester 22. We used to have best out of 10 shots tin can competitions. First time those young eyes really beat you, they wont believe you're not just letting them win. We used to shoot sometimes for hours, my eyes would wear out but the kid's eyesight would start getting sharper.