Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

swamprat

I don't know how many of you use recycled gun stock wood for projects but let me tell you! I was attempting to recut an unfinished shotgun stock into grip blanks with a power miter saw. I hit an unknown burl and litterly exploded the saw. This was a Crarftman lazer guide saw, top of the line. The exploding burl busted out a large chunk of metal at the saw dust collecter, busted the plastic insert below the blade and threw high vislosity objects all over the shop. One tool box I have has stainless steel drawer fronts (from a doctors offfice). It has a 1 inch dent in the front. God only knows why the windows or the saw operator were saved. I picked up parts and pieces from 10 ft away (which I am sure bounced off walls) and am still picking up the small pieces. This may be a rare thing but I just wanted to warn the rest of you about unknown wood. Had this been a finished stock I think all would of been fine. Being unfinished (this stock was still a half blank) I think the folks making stocks knew something was wrong so did not finish it. Again this may be rare but for warned is for armed or something like that.

Swamprat

I don't know if it is similiar circumstances. A friend of my former brother-in-law succesfully sued a manufacture. I just can't recall which one. The blade that was installed at the factory was rated at a lower RPM that the saw itself was turning. He lost the tip of his index finger at the first knuckle after the blade exploded. He had no idea of the blade problem and apparently somebody working for the Arizona Workers Comp discovered it after seeing some similiar claims with the same make/model saw.

Yep,I'd be talking to Sears too! I've cut tons of wood with miter saws,and have hit nails and brackets in used lumber and never had that happen.

DITTO. I used to build furniture for a company in NC when I was in college. I cut alot of wood and NEVER EVER broke a blade even after cutting thru metal. I would dull the teeth, but never broke or shatter anything.

This is a good example of why we wear saftey glasses in a shop.

Guy's the blade didn't break! The piece of wood litterly blew up sending pieces flying everywere. The pieces of wood are what broke the saw. I ran a furniture repair business for years and never had a piece of wood act or react like this did. It was burl walnut from an unfinished butt stock blank. I really think the reason it was never finished was the stock maker found something wrong with the wood. I think I'll just use a bandsaw from now on. ;)

Swamprat