Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Firing pin protrusion.... Not enough?

Rhys898

I got a complete forged bolt and triggerguard from Davis and it appears that the firing pin protrusion is less than the standard .055 sad.gif ( at least thats what I remember it being, could be wrong). What can I do to remedy this situation? New firing pin?

Jer

While the cocking piece changeout is the simplest way to go, I have found some firing pins to just be too short with any cocking piece or sleeve.

New firing pins are not the cheapest of the Mauser parts, but there comes a time for a new one every so often.

Century sometimes runs a special on '98 parts, and while it is hard to make up their minimum order on parts alone, this might be a good time to buy a rifle and the shipping costs will be reasonable. I usually keep about a dozen cocking pieces and sleeves on hand. Also just stocked up on the stripped bolts at 5/$30. Some even had the collar and extractor on them. That's a good buy.

But since you already have the bolt body shaped, try a new firing pin.

fritz

Kuhnhausen recommends firing pin protrusion between .055 and .065 inches. before you do anything, clean the interior of the bolt body exceedingly well. The "slots" where the pin fits in the "fired" position could be impacted with grease, cosmo, corn flakes, or whatever.

If the bolt body is clean and the pin still doesn't protrude far enough, try more firing pins until you find one that fits.

Clemson

Guest Guest_Rhys898_*

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm looking into getting some commercial firing pins off ebay either from Mr. Bonecrusher or Davis.