Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Swede Progress

montea6b

The stock is looking pretty nice after 6 wet sandings. Been contouring the triggerguard while the finish cures. Put it together this evening so I could dream a little, and it looked so good I had to shoot some photos. Not the best lighting, but you can still see the progress to date.

Here's what I started with:

image001.jpg

Nice little rifle, but 15.5" LOP with a 17.5" barrel was all wrong. Very clublike grip, plastic forend tip, white line spacers, etc. just wasn't my style. I'm going for a youth/lady's/mountain rifle. Here'e what it looks like so far:

Progress1%20001.jpg

Basically I slimmed everything down, had Z1R weld a new handle on, rasped off the monte carlo hump, shortened the LOP, and attached a new wood tip. Here's what it looks like compared to a "normal" stock:

Progress1%20004.jpg

Some more photos:

Progress1%20002.jpg

It had no real loading gate mortise to speak of, and I think this area is an important detail on a custom rifle. Mine's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty good.

Progress1%20003.jpg

Progress1%20005.jpg

Progress1%20006.jpg

I need to work on my photography skills. It really looks better in real life!

I looking at the photos all together, I realize that its difficult to fully appreciate just how much wood I removed.

I really went at it. I shortened each end by approx 2 inches, and dramatically slimmed the grip area. The new butt end is just aft of the sling swivel and old hump. I also slimmed the metal tang down to help with the slenderizing of the grip. I wish I had taken better "before" photos, from the same angle and distance.

Something else I'm considering is cutting off the aft knurled portion of the cocking piece and a corresponding amount off the firing pin to reduce the amount sticking back into the grip area. Could also save weight and improve lock time. I haven't seen anybody post on this before. Anybody done this?

I looking at the photos all together, I realize that its difficult to fully appreciate just how much wood I removed.

I really went at it. I shortened each end by approx 2 inches, and dramatically slimmed the grip area. The new butt end is just aft of the sling swivel and old hump. I also slimmed the metal tang down to help with the slenderizing of the grip. I wish I had taken better "before" photos, from the same angle and distance.

Something else I'm considering is cutting off the aft knurled portion of the cocking piece and a corresponding amount off the firing pin to reduce the amount sticking back into the grip area. Could also save weight and improve lock time. I haven't seen anybody post on this before. Anybody done this?

That rifle is really looking good. I have a couple of Commercial Husky 96's that have had the rectangular tab removed. I might have a spare here. If I can find it would you be interested in trading? You can also the mill the sear on the cocking piece a little to shorten lock time. You'll have to readjust your safety afterward though.

GREAT JOB!!! The work you did around the grip area is the part I like best. Compared to the unfinished stock the color looks close, did you use any stain??

I recently used some Formby's cut with mineral spirits and was really impressed with that stuff. It takes some time and patience but with outside temps going over 110 the day I worked on it. It dried rock hard in less than 2 hours.

Thanks for the compliments. I didn't use any stain, just the slight amber color of the finish. It's a pretty plain stick of wood, but I do like the color as is. Scott, I remember your post and was thinking about trying that myself, although I'd also like to try metal checkering on my own. Z, thanks for the offer, I'll shoot you an email.

• 2 weeks later...