Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Had A Great Sunday

Horsefly

We had high winds Saturday that blew down 2 huge dead trees,so I spent the morning sawing them up.Got done in time to eat lunch,took a long nap,and went down to my garden and started to till it up for the winter.It was 90 degrees and I had a cooler full of beer.Before I got the tiller gassed up,the air show at Alliance Airport started,and the Blue Angels would pull up from their stunts right over our house,so I knew I couldn't plow looking up and the only logical thing to do was pull my cooler and chair in the shade and watch the show.I had the best seat I've ever had at an air show,and I've been to a bunch of them.I could even see the cats driving the planes and would hold up a beer,but none stopped for one.Sometimes the blast was unbearable,but was way cool and give me goose-bumps.I'd sure like to drive one of those planes someday.The passing gear gotta make you wet your britches.I had a great afternoon and wasn't expecting it at all.I don't get many like that.The nap was close to being the highlight of my day.I was about 50ft. from the fence on the east,and the 2 horses next door stood as close as they could get to me,and when the planes would shake the ground,they would pitch,buck and fart and stop and stare at me to see what they should do.I thought about next time they did that,I should take off running like I was scared,but figured I might be chasing horses down the road.Jerry

90deg an' windy? Sounds like it was a helluva great aftrnoon especially w/ all the beer. You did drink in moderation, no wait, you wasn't driving so that made it ok to kill ALL the beer . :lol: Wished I coulda seen the show. Out here allways in the wrong place when they show up. Have another good one Jerry. Glad ya rested for atleast one afternoon. <_< Dave

Reminds me of an airshow about 15 years ago. I was on top of my roof changing the motor on the swamper. Didn't have any Blue Angels but had some interesting WW2 type fighter planes flying right over my house. I gave up on the motor for an hour or so and drug a lawn chair up on the roof. Later I heard most the fighter planes were US but were decorated with Iron Cross insignias to look German for a movie.

This past weekend driving back from Los Angeles I found out what the so-called Santa Anta winds are like. At my cousin's house it blew her lawn furniture all over the yard. Made simple things like opening and closing doors and gates near impossible. Riding home in my son's Surburban, if he wasn't carefull, he'd wind up in the next lane when a gust blew in on the side of that big truck. The winds are fanning some forrest fires and at one spot southwest of LA smoke was so thick it was burning our eyes. I saw the largest heard of geese I ever saw in my life, fighting the wind heading toward the ocean. My guess, the winds confused and blew them off coarse, heading west instead of south.

Jerry,

I bet it ain't 90 degrees there now. Not with the norther that blew through here yesterday. It got up to around 70 today, but with that strong north/west wind, it was dry as a popcorn fart. With all our rain-fed tall grass from the summer, I can already see the fires starting soon. Just after the frost, but they say we will have a warm and dry winter.

That still does not preclude the grass catching fire. My ideal would be a mild and moist winter, but in Texas we just don't get what we want. But if you wait, the weather will change tomorrow. Or so they used to say, seems this year it is the same old stuff once it starts.

Right now it is starting dry and windy.

fritz

Jerry,

I can't top the nap or the air show!

But...I did get caught up on the sleep I'd missed out on last week. I did get some work done on the new aquarium stand I've been working on for forever.

And I did enjoy a VIP seat next to my girlfriend at the Willie Nelson concert Sunday evening.

Heck, the Cowboys even beat the Vikings. All in all not a bad Sunday down here either!