Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Trick Or Treat

fritz

OK, tomorrow is Halloween, and the mask parties that go with it. For the adults, that is, which is what we are. I don't think any of you are going to go out and try to get free candy tomorrow night. For my age, it's too fattening.

So, if you are going to go to a mask party, what are you going as?

Couple years ago I went as Pancho Villa, and won first prize. I'm sure you regulars have seen the pic of fritz as Pancho. But you can only run a good thing so far, and it is best to quit when you are ahead (something our elected officials should learn to understand).

This year I wanted to go as a soldier, but it is hard to find BDUs in a small town. And the hunter camo just don't look the same, even if I sewed my military patches on it. Hell, when I was in the service we used plain old olive drab uniforms. None of this desert camo that all soldiers wear today.

OK, it shows my age. Hunters back then didn't look like soldiers when they went afield. Only in the "Yankee" states was it required to exhibit your hunting license on your clothing. And orange vests were unheard of.

I still wonder why a hunter wears the most sophisticated camo clothing, and wears a bright orange vest. Why bother with the camo?

OK, maybe the game is color blind (like me), and the bright orange vest is not noticed. But then, why the camo in the first place?

In case you don't know it by now, I am going as a full-camo hunter, minus the orange vest. But I will still have a bunch of goodies strapped, tied, or otherwise attached, to my get-up.

I may even put a DickCheney badge on my costume----lawyers beware! I shoot first and ask questions later.

The water bottle will not have water in it. I think you know what it will have in it. After all, it's Halloween, and I'm too old to do the old things like turn over outhouses and put a cow loose in the high school rooms. Or put the wing tanks from a Korean era airplane on the roof of the school.

They frown upon such things today. But ignore more serious infringements, like drugs.

Happy Halloween to everybody, hope you have a good (and safe) one.

fritz

Fritz,

Go as Elmer Fudd!! Put on some plaid, lace up boots, and big wooly hat. Fudd is the classic hunter!

As for me, I'm not much on Halloween. I'll be sitting quietly at home tomorrow night, probably working on my memory work so I can get it all turned in soon. I *did* go to a Halloween party last weekend...I had to; it was next to my house! The fraternity had its annual Halloween bash and since my girlfriend went as...er..eh Librarian, I went as her nerd. Seriously, high water pants, suspenders, and everything. It was a hoot! (Or maybe that was the Sangria I was nursing all night?) Anyway I've gotten all the Halloween out of my system till next year.

Jason,

I've got plaid, I got lace-up boots, but I ain't got a wooly hat. Would a Swedish army hat (with ear-flaps) do?

Right now I have a choice of leather or rubber hunting boots. I could go as a duck hunter or as a deer hunter. If I had a camo chest wader, I would go as a duck hunter. But I bought the boots (did not need the camo pattern, but seems everything nowadays comes that way) in rubber partly because of all the rain we USED to have and partly because I had a gift card to Academy.

I really wanted to go as an airborne ranger, but do you realize how hard it is to find silver wings in a small town?

I think I will go as a South Texas deer hunter, and will remain unnoticed until that fellow who showed up last time in a Dallas cheerleader costume (with the short skirt and fake boobs) made his appearance.

Pancho and him had a dance together. Pancho was always one for the senoritas. But oh---manyana!

fritz