Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7.65 Ammo

I would start by looking at Grafs & Sons. They have everything under the sun and free shipping. Then, if they don't have it, try MidwayUSA. They have everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're the patient type and a reloader, 7.65 cases can be easily formed from 30/06. IMR 4350 and Winchester 760 with the Hornady 174 gr round nose bullet gave me the best results. Make certain you wear safety glasses when fire forming the brass. Sorry I don't recall the powder load and lost my notes in a housefire. The 174 gr bullet pretty well folllowed the iron sights, the 150's all shot way to high. I used to have an 09 Argie sniper rifle that was remarkably accurate, through the iron sights even with a dark bore. It shot tighter groups down the iron sights than any civilian or mil-surp I've ever owned with the exception of my 03 Springfield. The Hornady 174 gr slug used to be .313 but is now .312. .308 bullets will probably give you dismal results. The Hornady slug also worked well for me in a model 1891 but I reduced the powder load from what I used in the 98.

Over the years I've shot thousands of surplus 7.65. The Turk surplus was absolute garbage. I used to use automotive battery terminal cleaner down the bore after shooting before I got home and cleaned it. The Turk stuff was so acidic, the terminal cleaner would foam!! Probably not available anymore, the Belgian FN 7.65 ammo was about as good as it gets, as accurate as Norma. I still have some surplus Argentine 7.65 that is reliable but all over the target.

When the Argie rifles and ammo were cheap, my shooting buddys and I used to shoot a man sized metal dong at ranges up to 400 yards. We named the dong Helmet, after a German and post war German Army vet that used to spend his winters in Arizona and ocaasionally went shooting with us. An Argie rifle in good shape would score as well as any USA or 98 Mauser mil-surp at the extreme range. Best I recall 350+ yards we would hear it about 30-40% of the time. 200 or less it was more like 90+ %. If my memory is correct the Argies in good shape scored about the same as my friend's Springfield M-1A in 308.

The Argie surplus was sold as non corrosive but one of my friend's tested it with litmus paper and claimed it was corrosive. Best to consider and treat all surplus ammo as corrosive. Century used to sell Argie manufactured soft tip hunting ammo that was non corrosive, expensive but alot cheaper than Norma. The box had a warning not to use it in anything other than Model 98's and later. I assume it was to hot for the 91's and meant for use in the 09's.

hornady- they came out with military ammo i believe last year....maybe this year i dunno...its in the sportsmans guide for around $22. get you a box then re-load it a couple times. I think winchester also has military ammo too....i know they added a mil line but my not have 7.65 in it yet. Gotta love the argie's....got one in 1891 model....its had about 2 boxes of shells through it...my dad bought it new outta sears or wards cataloge when he was 14....hes now 61!