Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Beaver Trouble

Horsefly

I have a small creek running behind my barn,and beavers have decided to start eating down my trees.I've gone down there at daylight with my coffee and watched them and thought how lucky I am to have animules in my back yard.Now I'm harelipped,and instead of coffee,I'll have my PA63.Maybe I'll do it in the morning.Dang I don't want too.I thought about wrapping tin around the trees that are left.This weekend is the big race at Texas Motor Speedway,so I'll have to stay home and surely can come up with an idea.When they have the races,traffic stops around here.You can get out while the races are going on,but you better not get caught away from the house when there letting out. Jerry

Jerry,

It may look like they are randomly destroying trees but what they are doing is cutting down all the stuff they don't eat so what they do will have room to grow. I'd wait for trapping season and harvest them then. Get a little money back from furs to pay for new trees.

Swamprat

Folks around here wrap the trunks with chicken wire cages from the ground to about 3 feet up.

Once they have a dam in place they are almost impossible to get to move, so don't wait any longer.

Clemson

You folks are more patient than fritz. I am lucky that we have no beavers down here, but be damned if I would let them cut down trees on my place. A tree cannot be easily replaced, do you know what a landscape company charges to plant a tree that is as big as what the little furry bastards so easily destroy?

Swamprat, if he waits until trapping season, he won't have a tree left. They work fast.

No, it ain't that easy, even if someone from the government told you so.

A few years ago, at our annual state Soil & Water Conservation meeting, we passed a resolution asking the State Of Texas to help eradicate the pests. It was passed, but nothing in Texas gets done without funding. But it is so much of a problem in East Texas that it is creating conservation problems from their dams.

Bullets are cheaper than planting new trees.

You folks are not PETA members, are you?

fritz

fritz,

Jerry said he was going to wrap the remaining trees to prevent further damage. I didn't say to not kill the beaver. I said wait for trapping season which is just a few days off. Then the hides are worth something. The only money he is going to see from the destruction is from the pelts cause I'll bet you ten the state won't do anything to help out. Beaver furs around here are worth some good bucks.

As a side note. Don't shoot them in the water! They sink like a rock and you lose the fur.

Swamprat

It's starting to break day,so I'm headed down to the creek to see if I can pop a beaver.Swamprat,hides in Texas won't bring anthing,because it's too hot and the hair is always thin and rubbed off,just like the top of my head.Yesterday after work I went down to the creek and there was another tree down.They chewed all the limbs off up to about 2'' dia.,so they're storing the limbs in their den.There's lots of little stick floating that has the bark all eaten off.My neighbor said he saw 4 beavers night before last.Oh well.Jerry

I didn't have any luck popping a beaver yesterday,but my neighbor on the west got one.I didn't know he was over there,and when he shot,I about had a beaver in the back of my britches.He was using a Ruger mini 14.Dang them varmits are big. Jerry

"He was using a Ruger mini 14.Dang them varmits are big. Jerry "

Yes, you gotta use enough gun to keep them from getting back in the water. Like stated above, they sink like a rock.

Then, when they bloat and surface, they stink up the water. Save our water----to hell with the beavers! Use enough gun!

I was going to suggest a single shot .22 and a balloon, but they might get away and die later.

fritz

Jerry,

If you don't have this resolved by weekend after next, I'll be happy to drive up with my .22 and a case of beer and sit on the river, drink beer, and shoot varmints. I bet we can get'em all before the Bud runs out... :D

Jerry, you really need to stop the destruction of your trees, by whatever means is necessary. Remember this----land with trees is worth far more than land without trees. Just ask any realtor.

My land along the highway is worth around four grand per acre, because it has nice oak trees, and I have cleared the brush. Without the trees, it would be worth about half. Buyers want trees, the more the better. They can always clear out the ones they do not want.

But I ain't seen a buyer cut down a tree yet, not around here. Do not underestimate the value of a tree. And consider what it costs to have one transplanted.

A beaver just ain't worth it.

fritz

"I bet we can get'em all before the Bud runs out..."

Now darn it guys..that just is not fair..I gotta work.

karl :(

And if we do run out...then by golly we'll get some more. Death to the Beavers!!