Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Straight Talk On Nuclear Threat

FC

A very good (and lenghty) discussion. What I wonder about is this---

"It's the right thing to do, but I would submit that this problem could have been solved a long time ago. ... The way I characterize it is, the Cold War ended; the loser really didn't lose."

There is also the possibility, that if it ended differently, it would not have ended the cold war. Sometimes we still have to deal with the reality that we are not the Supreme power. And deals are cut to save face (and other reasons).

The Cold War ended, let it lie in peace. It ended, regardless of who wants to claim to be the winner.

There is really no real winner in war today. It started in Korea, then VietNam.

Where next? Maybe you can tell me.

fritz

That was an interesting read. The article is 5 years old. I wonder if he would have a different position today with the Iranians developing nukes and ICBMs and spreading the joy around the P.G. It was interesting to see references made to flat out threats of the U.S. nuking Lybia, Iran, Iraq, N.K., etc. and references to deals where there's the part everyone sees and the part that no one sees. You just don't see things like that discussed in the media. It is always presented as "This is all there is to it. Really. No, we mean it. Honest."

I think he is dead-on with the conex threat. I hadn't thought of it. Conex's look like a smaller trailer without the wheels. They're used to transport goods via shipping. Load a nuke in a conex and "poof", easy delivery system, compared to a missle.

I was a Radio Electronics Officer in the US Merchant Marine for about 7 years. I know all about containers, and that nuke threat has been brought up many times. In fact, a few years ago (post 911), several containers were discovered to have living quarters inside them. It appeared that they would load up the container with some Sand Monkeys, stick it on the boat, deliver to the US, haul it off and that's how they were smuggling people in. I bet they paid the extra to get the container down in the hold instead of on deck. We used to lose a stack of them occasionally in a storm. Woops.