Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Went To The Range Friday

karlunity

Fellas.

I went to the range Friday just to run a few tests.

I changed the hammer and recoil spring in myPPH 380.

I had read that you could get a better double action pull with a lighter hammer spring.

well, you can.

But if you remove enough coils to get a "light pull" the hammer does not have enough force to guarantee firing the primer so I had to get new springs from Wolff's.

The trick is just to remove one coil and file and stone the next coil smooth. It is Not worth the effort.

The new recoil spring however is great. The "kick" is not nearly as sharp and the brass is easier to find.

I asked Wolff for heavier recoil springs for my P-1. They have a new type that fits the recoil rods better.

The old springs came off and the new ones went on in a flash and the kick seems better.

I even hit the target at 25 meters with both pistols..: )

I even went and got a set of Walnut grips for the P-1.

I re-finished the grips and they are drying in the garage as I write...dont tell Ole Bill. : )

I went and put a scope back on my Rom. 22. I hated to do that as scopes make me feel like I am getting old,( well, I am)

but I got this from Walmart for 16 bucks!.

I have used these before, and the "Zero" goes after 500 rounds or so, but for 16 bucks....

Anyway, the hard part is filing the mount that comes with the scope to move the cross hairs enough to allow you to zero the rifle with out using up all the "clicks",

Feeling annoyed for buying the scope, I just put it on the rifle, bore sighted, (No filing or fitting) and went to the range.

I had to fire and adjust the clicks, but after 5 minutes, I was shooting 5 shot groups into or around the same hole!.

Now that was at only 25 meters, (but I was hitting baseball sized rocks at 100 meters.) I did not move the target to 100 meters as it was late in the afternoon, after school, and the range was closing, but I was amazed.

I have NEVER had this happen with a scope..most times it is fit ..shoot..file or shim and re shoot and do it again and again and again!!.

Karl

A friend brought me five rifles yesterday, sight in four and lenghten the stock on the fifth. That one is a Savage Model 99F in .243 caliber. He had it cut down for a kid, and now the kid is grown up. I will remove the recoil pad, add a wood spacer of approx. the amount he had removed, and then cover the whole mess with a Pachmeyer Slip-On pad. It's the easiest way out. A new stock for the 99 would be the best, but----

The others were two 30/06 bolt actions that he is going to use on an elk hunt (Colorado, I presume) but maybe somewhere else. I zeroed them in at two inches high at 100 yards. He is going to bring ne some elk meat. And I have no doubt he will hit what he aims at.

Two others were .22s, one was a brand new Marlin Model 60 with a Nikon scope. Man, did that thing shoot good. The other was an old pump .22 (either a Remington or a Winchester, I did not have time to see as it was starting to rain).

The next thing I have to do is put a new scope on some fellow's .220 Swift.

BTW, all we got was a drizzly one tenth of an inch. The drought is on.

fritz

I will remove the recoil pad, add a wood spacer of approx. the amount he had removed, and then cover the whole mess with a Pachmeyer Slip-On pad. It's the easiest way out

fritz

Agreed.

I like the slip-on recoil pads.

I used them on several rifles, a Mas and two mausers.

Gunparts used to sell them for 5 bucks apeice.

karl

I like the slip on pads that are a reproduction of the pad used on sniper's 03's and M-1's. I'll try and get a picture up.

This pad is easy on and off, wish I could get an original but on my budget a repo has to do. I paid 10-15 bux at a gun show for it. I've seen the real thing and this is a good reproduction, showing the ordinance bomb and stock number.

aaaa-pad-1.jpg

It can be used with or without the internal pad. Even without the internal pad there is enough meat there to take some of the punch out of it.

aaaa-pad-2.jpg

I keep it on my Chinese version of the 1897 Winchester trench gun but the pad usually goes to the range with me. The extra length it adds to my Mausers and other military rifles makes looking down the iron sights a little clearer for my 56 year old eye sight.

aaaa-pad-3.jpg

I went to my range yesterday too. The one on my porch. Been having a bit of trouble with the coons. Last one took too many shots. I really like 1 shot 1 kill, but I've only been able to do that a couple times. Coon brains ain't exactly easy to hit bobbing around at 10 ft straight down with a Stoeger Luger. So, I sighted it in (KY Windage) a bit better. One inch high, or "above" in the sight picture straight down will about do it. I also put a red dot scope on my 1022. It is a super cheap Chinese one, like $20 or so that I bought a year or so ago and it's just been sitting on my shelf. That thing is pretty cool. Low light conditions are great. No light conditions get the night vision (from Harbor Freight). In sighting it in, the 1022 started acting up, so I did a thorough cleaning on it, taking the trigger mechanism out and cleaning that up for the first time in what is probably 2K rounds. Then I broke out the Contender and practiced some on my 50 yd Hunter Pistol pig target. Haven't shot that in a while since I sort of stopped shooting competitively and didn't want to get too rusty. Of course, I had to first knock the weeds down so I could see the target.