Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Load Data For Cast 160gr. .309 For 30-06

hylander

Cast bullet info is a little harder to come by than jacketed loads. You can find it on the NET but you have to dig for it. I would suggest looking on ebay for some of the older Lyman reload manuals. They have a wealth of info on cast bullet loads. If you have hard cast bullets and use a gas check, they can be loaded up some. I would personally limit loads to 2000 fps or less to reduce leading which can occur depending on cast mixture. Generally a heavier bullet is used because of the velocity limits. I would use at least a 190 Gr. There are more knowledgeable cast bullet shooters on this site than I, so perhaps you will get some info from them. I did find a load on Ammoguide.

.30-06 Springfield

Calculate trajectory for this load

Bullet Wt. PowderType Charge

(grains) (grains) Muzzle Vel.(fps) K.E.(ft-lbs) Pressure Barrel Length (in) OverallLength (in)

160 Unique 18.0 1852 1219 34300 cup 24.0 3.050

Load submitted by 'maxvelocity'.

This load was developed using Lyman round-nosed, lead, soft-point, gas-check bullets (311672).

In terms of power, the developer considers this a light load.

Winchester cases and Winchester Large Rifle primers were used in development.

As you can see, I could not get the data to format properly.

Spiris

check w/ lyman cast load book if you can ,they have an assortment of load data for alot of rifles. I'll look in mine an post some data for you. If you want you can email me also... Dave

Its been allot of years but I used conservative 30/30 data to load cast slugs in an 06. I had a pet load using 2400 for a real mild but very accurate combination. The mild load I kept ranges at 50 or less. Later I used 3031 using a gas checked lead bullet and hopped it up a little. I could print a fairly decent group at a hundred yards with the hotter load but accuracy would taper off as the barrel leaded. The cast loads were all shot via iron sights with an 03 Springfield and Remington 760. Keep your loads mild and you will likely be thrilled with the accuracy. I never fooled with fillers, my shooting buddy did and we couldn't see any improvement.

There are so many variables with cast bullets. The lead's formula and hardness, how they were cooled, how and what type of sizing and lube, just to name a few all figure in the mix and the end result. If you got commercial cast chances are good they are plenty hard and sized .309. If you bought them from an Ebay or back yard seller chances are good the mix is pure wheel weights. Wheel weights do indeed do a good job but keep the velocities slow.

I have a friend that does some literally amazing target shooting with a pre-64 Winchester 30/30 using his own cast bullets.