Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need 4wheelers Help

spec4 e4

We truckers need your four wheelers help for next years. I know there is some bad drivers out there driving big trucks, but that is only an small amount of them. Here is what you can do to help. Past these suggestions along to love ones and friends.

1. If you can not see me in my mirrors, that means I can not see you.

2. Please don't ride our trailer bumpers. Yes, it does save fuel, but if I have to stop or slow down, and you are not pay attention, we are going to have an accident.

3. If you see an big truck coming off the exit ramp to get back on the main road(US highways and Interstates, some State routes), and you can get over please move over. It take us more time to get up to speed.

4. Please don't cut in front of us to soon, you are taking away our stopping distance. It take some time to get up to speed and the same apply to stopping. Leave an tractor and trailer distance before move over again.

5. At night, we have rookies and four wheelers flashing their high beams at us. Please don't do that. We have an bigger flat mirrors and if we are looking in it looking at you, we are blinded for an few seconds and that could me avoiding an accident. The best way is to turn your headlights off and on again. That will get our attentions. (Watch the big truck when they pass each other, most of them will turn off and on their headlights, and that will let the passing truck know it is safe to move over again.)

6. Thank an driver when you see one, without us, the nation stop. You will not have the food, cloths, ect......... that you have today. Most people can not live on their own if they have to.

Thanks

Rob

Sorry for any misspelled words.

Very nice, Rod. I'll keep these things in mind.

One thing I'd like to add as a frequent urban driver in the South is: "use your frickin' turn signals people!"

Driving is the most dangerous thing that we regularly do.

If the Brady Bunch were really interested in saving lives they'd be pounding the Bible of better driving instead of trying to limit our God-given rights.

One thing I'd like to add as a frequent urban driver in the South is: "use your frickin' turn signals people!"

Amen to that DT! With my moving down from central NY, that bad habit of the south had me cussing quite often. But I have learned to love the biscuits N gravy.

Spiris

It's the same with cars and trucks as is with cars and trains.The majority are good drivers,but there's always the dumbass that doesn't have time to wait on a train,so they go around the crossing arms and get smacked,so the small majority of dumbasses band together to have more rules made up,because you know it wasn't their fault.One of the worse things that happens to me while driving a truck is when I give the guy in front of me enough space that I can stop if I get in a jamb,and some dumbass in a car pulls in between us cutting my stopping distance from yards to feet.Folks are raising cane about using cell phones while driving,but I see folks reading,eating,putting on makeup,and even saw a guy using a laptop computer that was velcro'd or snapped onto his steering wheel.You non-truck drivers wouldn't believe how a lot of women operate the gas pedal with the right foot,while the left is spread as far to the left as possible and tucked back under the edge of the seat.You can't keep from looking down when a car passes,and I've never seen a man drive like that.They look like they are just barely in control.You truckers tell me that aint true. Jerry

Must be the same all over. Truckers in Cleveland are always in the left lane tieing up traffic. Why? Because the boneheads in the cars won't let them into the left lane later when they need to get there. I flash my lights, not brights, and let them move over even if I have to stop. I appreciate the ones that wait. The truck drivers in our inner city freeways are far better drivers than the car driving suburb jerks.

Assured safe distance? Around here, if you can read the plate, you're way too far behind. Someones gonna sqeeze in there and then tap the brake light every 5 seconds cause he scared himself by driving so close. I can't figure it out.

So Horsefly, you see women driving with their right foot on the gas and left foot under the LEFT side of the seat?????? How do you NOT get in accidents???LOL.

Thanks guys and gals for reading this, and I have came up with more helpful hints.

1. If you are driving the other way at night, close or far, turn off your highbeams. I have alot of people use their highbeam when there is an jersey wall between us. Trucker are up hight and can see over the wall.

2. Don't ride the back of the trailer corner in the other lane waiting for us to cross over when we are trying to get over. You are to close to our rearend. If we have to stop. You are going to hit use. Please get off the fuel and drift back and few car length back.

Ok for an laugh, have you spouse where an low cut shirt and mini skirts. Trucker love them. :lol:

Walnut and Horsefly, I have to agree with you 110% on what you say.

By for now

Rob

Your friendly truck driver.

I have to say a couple of things here. First off, almost all big rig drivers are good at what they do. Having said that, I will now throw in the wrench. Lately, meaning the last few years, I have found myself many times on the interstates going the speed limit plus some, in the slow lane, with a tractor trailer so close behind me you cannot see anything but the grill of the truck. And, this not just for a moment, but for miles at a time. There is no way a tractor trailer is going to stop in the same distance I am, and if a problem arises in front of me, that leaves me in a terrible spot. The other thing is drivers that are not alert as to what is happening in front of them. A perfect example of this just happened less than thirty days ago, on our way home from up north. We were in the lower part of Kentucky, just about to enter the mountains of Tennessee and there was road construction going on. Speed limit 55. Trucks in front of us, trucks behind us and only one lane of traffic. Warning signs everywhere, and this jack hat behind us was about three truck lengths off our bumper. That should have been plenty of time for him to react. Of course, he would have had to of been watching where he was going first. Next thing we know the traffic in front of us stops abruptly, as do we. The truck behind continues on towards us at 55. Now, there was no place to go left because of bridge work and workers. No place to go right because of heavy equipment and a truck coming up our back side quickly. When he did realize we were stopped he locked um up and began his slide. Tractor was bouncing up and down off the ground, starting to veer slightly left and he was now on top of us. The truck in front of me, seeing what was coming, kept inching forward, giving me every inch he could, and we were literally to the point of kissing the trailer in front of us. The guy did get stopped, about 4 inches from us. When the traffic got cleared, he took his first opportunity to pass everyone of us ahead and blast off into the afternoon. What is with this kind of driving? Seems to be getting more common too. swamp_thing

Swamp and other guys. If you see an truck driving unsafe, this is what you do. Take down the truck or trailer number, the time, where it happen(interstate, US Hwy, road, town, or mile post). Also get the company name, like Swift, JB Hunt ect......, and call them. talk to them with respect, don't yell or curse at them. The did not drive unsafe, their driver did. I have call the police on drive that was driving on flat tires and they knew it and I called on my own drivers and other companies drivers too. I tired to be safe out here.

Rob

Rob, I was in no way suggesting that you were part of this. I am only saying that there seems to be more drivers now that do not care how they drive or whom they endanger. No doubt you see it from time to time, being out there all the time. I have known drivers with 30-40 years experience, never had an accident. The vast majority are very professional at their jobs, it is the minority that makes it bad for all. Keep safe my friend. Have you made it down home lately? I hear Yellville and the surrounding area has grown a bunch in the thirty years I've been gone. Dave

Swamp, I did not take it that way. And no not yet, I will be spending about 3 years in KC, Mo area. My sister need my help and my father will not let me keep my firearms in his house. And I talk to my sister and she said I can keep them there. I have three already down there. But it will put me in an good position to find land and save money. Yes it has grown up in the area.

Rob