Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Savage 99 In .300 Savage

RifleMan

A friend of mine recently was given a Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage. Assuming that he doesn't care about the historic or intrinsic value of keeping the original barrel on it, does anyone know if it's possible to re-barrel for a more easily acquired commercial cartridge? He doesn't reload (but I'm working on him, trying to get him to keep it as a .300 Savage). I just don't know enough about this action to know if it's possible to re-chamber it and still fit rounds in the rotary magazine.

Thanks!

-Nathan

try to keep it original

Naw, pretty much your choices are .22-250, 250 ro 300 savage, if you want to use the rotary mag.. .300 Savage is still relatively easy to find and plenty for most NA game. If I had a nice .300 savage I'd shoot the hell out of it and never think about rechambering.

he'd be light years ahead in terms of cost just buying a case of ammo than he would rebarreling it.

Savage 99's are fetching a good price these days, becoming a collector's item. Depending on the year it was manufactured he could probably horse trade up or sell and use the cash for the caliber he wants. Another down-side of the 99 is replacement parts as they haven't been manufactured for many years now and the current Savage corp no longer offers parts for them.

Thanks for the info guys. I think he wants to keep it original, but I don't have any idea as to the date of manufacture. I think he said he wants to take some caribou with it (he's taking a trip to Alaska next year and is thinking about tags).

Anyway, I'll get a chance to see the rifle in a week or two. Never handled one before, so I'm looking forward to it.

actually, you can rebarrel a 99 to 243, 308, 284, or 358. the 99 came in all of those. you will need to change some mag parts too, but they are available.

the 300 savage is still popular enough that I would leave it alone. you can get ammo for it pretty easily. it's a good round, anyways. I am reworking one, and leaving the caliber alone, at 300 savage.

caribou are not known for being tough, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 300 on one. just shoot good 150-gr bullets.

FWIW the 7.62x51 NATO round was developed from the 300 savage, and the 308 win from that.

of course, if you want to go all out, get one made for 308 and rebarrel it to 416 McPherson (.416/284). that thing packs a wallop.

I'm all for sporterizing, but a 99 in 300 savage is already the coolest thing you can make out of it.

It would be a sin to mess with it.

If he wants to mess with something to shoot caribou, he needs to get a standard action Mauser and turn it into a scoped 280 Rem.