Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Gun Show Find

BradD

Today at the Bakersfield show I "won" (if you will) a silent auction. I was the high silent bidder on a large ring Mexican Mauser. Always thought they were great and have built a few into fun stuff, on the short side. Haven't found one in 7-8 years.

This however, I'm not so sure. Not one single number matches on it so it isn't going into the Smithsonian, or the Montezuman, if that exists. It has a nicely epoxied Mexican X pesos coin on the ring, which no matter how many ideas about how classy it would be on a sporting rifle, won't work.

How do you loosen epoxy? Someone told me heat and pop it. If I can salvage the coin, maybe I can buy a burrito. But my main interest is getting the receiver and bolt out of the rest of the mess.

If anyone needs a full stock, triggerguard, shroud, or barrel with sights, or even one of those dandy triggers, let me know. Will be real cheap.

As a final gesture of my conquest, I walked out of the line waving it, yelling "Viva Mexico".

Didn't get a lot of positive response to that. I don't know about all these Central California rednecks. Seemed funny to me.

Thanks,

Brad

...If anyone needs a full stock, triggerguard, shroud, or barrel with sights, or even one of those dandy triggers, let me know. Will be real cheap....

Orale! If you have the springfield-type cocking piece, and are looking to get rid of that, I will take it.

Try heat. Surely you have a propane or MAPP torch out in the shop somewhere(?) that would do the job.

Viva Mauser!

-Jason

Oops, yeah, try heat. Or, sometimes better yet is cold. Often the metal will shrink more than the epoxy. Then whack it with a brass hammer.

Nice find by the way Brad!

Viva Mexican mausers. I just got another today. Schweet!

Additionally, a customer of mine sent me one today to work on that he'd had done up earlier. It's really nice. The previous smith surface ground the receiver nicely but missed the mark on the bolt handle by a mile.

Thanks, guys, I'll try heat and cold, if necessary. I don't think there is enough mass for the freezing thing to work, but if heat doesn't do it, then cold it is.

Sorry plum, std cp, or it sure would be for sale.

I guess there's always eBay, Peso and all.

Brad

Klean-strip Premium Stripper (Model ESR72, in a reddish-orange spray can) from Home Depot will soften it if it can touch it. That product removes polyurethane, stain varnish and epoxy. I removed an epoxied grip cap from a Rem Model 30 stock with it. Pretty sure it was epoxy - may be worth a try.

Klean-strip Premium Stripper (Model ESR72, in a reddish-orange spray can) from Home Depot will soften it if it can touch it. That product removes polyurethane, stain varnish and epoxy. I removed an epoxied grip cap from a Rem Model 30 stock with it. Pretty sure it was epoxy - may be worth a try.

This product is is 80-85% methylene chloride.

Well, took the LR Mex apart today to start trying to get the X peso off the ring. Put it back together without even starting. May just have to leave it as an old military wallhanger (I don't know what war it ever would have been in). It does look good, even though it's junk.

The problem is the screw protrusion on the bottom of the lug was all chipped away and there was maybe 3-4 sorry looking threads left in the lug itself.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing or tried to restore such a thing? Even if a new protrusion could be made and welded on, I think the threads in the lug would need helicoil and I wonder if that could work reliably there, if anyone even makes a 1/4" x 22.

Brad

I'll offer another repair suggestion, since it's always good to have options!

I don't know what kinds of tools that are available to you but this should be an option even if you have to pay someone to make it for you.

Since the protruding part of the threads is gone how about this. Drill the threaded hole out to a size that is just a little under 3/8". The only receiver I have close by measures about 3/8" OD at the boss. If the lug bottom is not flat where the thread boss was, file it flat. Turn a piece of stock down, in a lathe, so that it just fits with little clearance into the drilled hole. Make this length dimension the same as the hole. Have the piece that you are machining step up to 3/8" or whatever the OD of the boss actually is and make that length the same as the boss protrudes from the lug. Tap it with the appropriate threads,( 1/4-22 or whatever you want) while it is still in the lathe. Then silver solder it in place. I would leave the threaded hole blind so as not to have any problems with solder accidently getting into the threads. This repair should be more than strong enough and just about invisible. It would generate much less heat than welding. There isn't much room for a thread insert, by the time you drill out the threads and tap it you will leave the boss thin, not to mention having to use other than original thread dimensions.

I am sure there are other ways to do this and that's why it's fun to ask these questions here!

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

While pawing through Kuhnhausen, preparing for a post on the Siamese Mauser thread, I stumbled upon this info at p. 107 re repairing damaged receiver threads at the front lug....mill out to 3/8"...make a .375 insert...sweat in with Force 44 solder.. drill and tap to 1/4"x 22...mill to original extension height. Sweat in the piece after heat treating if it is to be heat treated.

Good call, cng. Great minds think alike.

Thanks for all the other ideas, also.

I may try it just for sport.

Brad