Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How Not To Drill Your Receiver

z1r

Here are some pics of a Spanish Mauser that obviosuly lost the battle with Bubba.

DSC00400.jpg

I started by removingthe barrelled action from the stock. When I did, I noticed the barrel was loose and unscrewed by hand. So, I unscrewed it to get a better look at the lug seat. Sure enough, just as I suspected, someone had drilled right onto the face of the seat.

DSC00405.jpg

As if that wasn't bad enough, they also drilled into the shank of the barrel. the hole is too deep and the barrel is toast.

DSC00399.jpg

So, what could have been a decent mauser is now a pile of junk.

If it belongs to a customer you have a real challenge ahead of you tactfully explaining he is a total f-up without insulting his intelligence getting him po'd and going elsewhere next time he needs work done. It might make a good donor to a gun smithing school. Even if it is a Spanish receiver it is a real shame seeing it turned into a paper weight.

Well you could weld up the bad holes, if all are bad, I would weld them up and reheat treat the receiver. But it look like only the right is out of wack. T

Rob.

And what about the huge divot on the lug seat? Look at 9:00 o'clock, back on the lug seat just beyond the inner "C" ring. That is a size 31 hole that was drilled on the face of the seat.

Naw, I've welded up bad holes before, this is toast. Besides, I wouldn't invest that much energy trying to save a Spanish Mauser. Now, if it were an original mauser sporter, that's another story.

I know, I'm a snob. But I am interested in hearing what aapproach others might take to "fix" this mess.

I'm with you, Mike. That receiver is beyond salvation.

Clemson :(

Yup. Not my favorite receivers but there will come a day when even the spanish receivers will be scarce. I hate to see a receiver wasted. I think I will section this one.

Well... if I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to fix this foul up, it would require,

A ceramic mold in the shape of the bolt recess area, and a ceramic funnel with an opening the size of the hole.

A bit of equal parts iron and aluminum oxide powders, mixed together and ground fine in a ceramic mortar and pestle. This is thermite and it burns hot, and leaves reduced molten iron as a byproduct.

And a hand held propane torch or other heat source.

Block off the lug recess area with the ceramic mold, position the ceramic funnel touching right over the hole, pack the funnel with a few grams of thermite, touch it off with the propane torch (be careful of sparks!).

The molten iron will fall down into the open spaces and fill ANY gaps and ruin any heat treatment.

Then wait for the receiver to cool, break the ceramic mold from the lug recess area, and hopefully only a bit of polishing is needed to clean up any stray metal that stuck where it wasn't supposed to. If not then it wouldn't be too hard to build a tool to machine the lug recess area back to spec.

Obviously the receiver now needs a heat treatment. This is a heckuva lot of work for a Spanish receiver.

Jimro

Couldn't you re-thread the barrel to small ring size and put it on a K Kale action?

Ben

If the chamber wall is too thin as a large ring, what would change as a small ring? It would still only be .175" thick.

No, you could however cut the offending mess of and thread and chamber again.

If it belongs to a customer you have a real challenge ahead of you tactfully explaining he is a total f-up without insulting his intelligence getting him po'd and going elsewhere next time he needs work done. It might make a good donor to a gun smithing school. Even if it is a Spanish receiver it is a real shame seeing it turned into a paper weight.

Yeah, it was a customer's. I offered him $35 for the mess, basically to offset my charge. Still, the only parts on the action salvagable are the bottom metal and bolt stop. the bolt was so over polished that there were no sharp corners left. Also, the extractor collar and extractor were somehow F'd up. Seriously, probably the worst bubba job I have seen.

Well, except for the welded on scope mount, lol.