Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Would Remington Do This?

tinkerfive

I got some .357 Magnum ammo as part of a deal from a fellow.

Later I came to measure it at .345.

I checked with a buddy who reloads .357 and he too was baffled at it

being so far undersized.

I checked back with the original fellow and he said that he bought it at Wall Mart.

Given Wall Mart's reputation could Remington have made a batch of undersized ammo

and sold it off cheap to Wall Mart rather than take a loss?

I can't think of another explanation.

I'm just surprised that at Wall Mart, K Mart, Joe's Mart or where ever that if it has

Remington's name on the box it isn't within spec.

Tinker

I'm curious as to how the measurements were taken. Was the bullet pulled and measured or was the bullet measured in the casing ahead of the crimp? If done in the case, it's possible it is not full caliber at that point of measure. Just wondering.

Spiris

I'm in total agreement with Spiris, I don't believe Remington would risk it's reputation and possible liability by selling under size ammo. I would take it as far as suggesting if it is undersized, in a Remmy box with Remmy head stamps there is a good chance it is counterfeit. Let us know how you measured the bullet, any chance there is a problem with your mike??

I'm curious as to how the measurements were taken. was the bullet measured in the casing ahead of the crimp? If done in the case, it's possible it is not full caliber at that point of measure. Just wondering.

Spiris

Yes that is how it was measured, That is why I consulted someone who reloads .357.

No not 'golden saber' they are semi jacket hollow point. Maybe they have the same profile as the

golden saber anyway. Trying to pull one through the crimp would deform the 'skirt' anyway.

The guy who reloads said that he would expect to read .357 to .358 where we measured .345,

that is why I'm asking you guys.

Thanks

Tinker

If you wanna find out for sure pull a bullet. Use a kinetic puller. Then measure the base. I seriously doubt the bullets are that small. They would have fallen right into the case before they ever had a chance to be seated & crimped. have you ever measured the neck ID of new cases. They are a couple thou smaller than bullet diameter. Roughly .355" Even at .350", which would be quite undersized, a bullet would drop into the case.

I suspect that the ogive of the bullet starts right at the crimping groove. Only way to tell for sure is by pulling a bullet.

I've been shooting 38 cal Hornady 125 gr XTPs out of my 9 mm largo lately.

I used up the last of my 9 mm HPs and wanted to have an extra mag of carry ammo and had a couple of boxes of the 38s laying around.

It says 0.357 on the box and in the Hornady manual, but my dial calipers say 0.354.

The 124 gr XTPs without cannulature designed for 9 mm say 0.355 on the box, but again my dial calipers say 0.354.

I don't think I'd be happy with 0.345, but like rat said the golden sabers look like they have a driving band at the base.

Reading the reviews, it looks like this driving band creates issues when shooting the bullets out of a 38 case in a 357 chamber - interesting...maybe autos do have some redeeming features.