Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sweet Pair Of 1909s

montea6b

Wow, those were nice. Paid for the consecutive numbers.

I lucked out awhile back and bought two argentine 1909 receivers without bottom metal for $35. When I got them I didn't notice until a month or so later that they were consecutively numbered. Someday, someone will want a matched pair and I'll be quite happy.

My 20/20 hindsight is really kicking me in the rear. In the early 80's there was a distributer in Phoenix dumping 09's in Shotgun News. I had the advantage of being able to do my own hand selecting. Like an idiot I got hung up buying a carbine and even worse I didn't know there were Argie made models as well. As you have likely guessed it, I picked up an Argie manufactured one. To give you an idea of how foolish I was selecting the Argie made carbine. I assumed because most of the 09's, rifles and carbines alike had the receivers in the white, the blued receiver must have been a rare variation as he only had a few.

I already had an 09 rifle, a sniper's version with turret mounts and turned down bolt so I didn't even consider another one. I traded the 09 sniper's rifle away a few years ago for an M-1 rifle. The 09 rifle had the smoothest action of any Mauser or Mauser copycat I've ever handled. It's smoothness rivals that of the single lug Krag rifle. After discovering that the turret mounts were fetching 4-$500 on Ebay I was on the verge of salvaging the all matching 09 rifle for it's super smooth action and selling the mounts. It wasn't until I was offered the M-1 in trade that I decided against it.

Incidentally I still have the 09 bayonet with the leather frog if anybody has a M-1 or 03 rifle bayonet and scabbard they might like to trade for it. I might be willing to add some booty for a real nice one.

Someday, someone will want a matched pair and I'll be quite happy.

Hey, that sounds like a great marketing opportunity for your business! What a fantastic father/son package. I've seen completed rifles for sale with consecutive numbers, but the chance for a custom build, choosing a stock blank, caliber, etc. is a different story. I wouldn't wait for "someday", you should advertise this...