Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Reciever Sight And Handguard Issues

Essex County

I have a past histroy of remodeling Mausers going back into the sixties and up into the eighties. It doesn't make economic sense anymore. That said, I am in desprate need of a Mauser with a reciever sight. My eyes just can't do opens anymore. Somewhere, packed away I have a Williams FP and a Timney trigger. I also have a number of Turks and a couple of Yugos hanging around. I was wondering if I could mount the Williams and retain the upper handguard. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all...........Essex

Yes, The receiver sight mounts to the rear right of the receiver. the handguard stops at the front ring. there should be no issues other than maybe relieving a bit of wood where the sight mounts.

• 1 month later...

I like receiver peep sights, I have 3 Lyman 48Ms, a 48S, and several Redfield peeps. I think you and I may be about the same age and I ended up using scopes as my optical resolution began to fade. I added the peeps as a back up after a deer hunt which ended up as a spear hunt when I damaged the scope during a fall. The only place I wouldn't use a scope is in heavy brush, or, among thickets along creek beds. So, is it necessary to have a gun for every situation? I came up with a better answer than that.

My answer has been to use Lyman 48 peepsights plus Griffin&Howe receiver side mounts (which can be removed or replaced in a matter of seconds and will always retain point of impact). So, 4 of my rifles can be used with or without scopes (and I don't have to have as many rifles as my wife has shoes) to meet differing game and geographic situations.

Fortunately I do have as many rifles as my wife has pairs of shoes because when my wife insists I don't need an additional rifle, I answer that the desired rifle in used, not new like her shoes, and that I will stop needing additional used rifles when she stops needing additional NEW pairs of shoes. This seems to be a better answer than "differing situational needs". Bill