Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Vacation Advise

Horsefly

I was told a few minutes ago that since it's our 35th aniversery,we're taking a once in a lifetime trip,and her ideas are London and Paris,but I'll not go to some big city.She said I better get some ideas.I had planned on going to Alaska this summer,and is still my first choice.That's what I'm going with,but wanted to here you dudes ideas.I'd like to see Scotland,Sweden and the Alps,Norway and Finland,Maine. Jerry

Found myself in a similar situation many moons ago. I was "fortunate" enough to visit NYC to see my future brother-in-law. Great guy, but no desire to see the city. Anyhow, it occured to me that Griffin + Howe were in NY so I called them and made an appointment. Four of us went, me being the only one that ever even held a gun. They were okay with it and I had a ball. Now if I was going to "enjoy" London, as Karl so aptly put it, I might be curious about where Holland + Holland or Westley Richards was located. She'll be okay with it, after all it's your anniversary too. By the way, Happy 35th Anniversary, that's pretty good.

... and her ideas are London and Paris,but I'll not go to some big city.....

You'd a thought she might want to get out of Texas, but hey, it is a big state to explore. London is pretty nice, but really, really small. And about as far west as you want to go.

But, if you want to get out of Texas, I dunno. I've been around the world three times. It sucks pretty much everywhere. I think that Alaska would be an excellent once-in-a-lifetime type of trip. And with the current exchange rates, the Alaskan Dollar is 1:1 so it is a bargain. Wait for spring, of course. You can pretty much keep Europe. I'm sure it's interesting, and I'd still like to go visit the Netherlands again some time, only more "touristy" and that's strictly from a family history/ancestors perspective.

Hey, there are two really, really nice places to visit. At least when I was there 20 years ago: Buenos Aires, and Rio de Janeiro. Both of those are places I would consider as an excellent once-in-a-lifetime type of trip. Buenos Aires is the only place I've ever been outside of the U.S. where I walked into an actual gun store.