Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Trigger Job

Brenden

whats going on guyes? I've been bit by the mosin bug pretty bad here lately. Gonna do a sporter project here pretty soon and was wondering about triggers. I've seen the anti friction ones that sell for more than a russian's worth and don't want to go that route, so is there any aftermarkets or maybe a little modification that one could do? Also, the 91/30's, are they a good shooter? I've heard many say barn door accuracy. I've got a m44 thats accurate, but i don't want to get another one because of the premently attached bayonet holder (pia to cut off i'd say, any suggestions) or could i cut it off and mount a swivle sling attachment, by using the existing band that goes around the barrel to secure the bayo mount? Found a nice gutted bolt on e-gunparts thats bent, think i'll go that route instead of welding on a new one also. man i can't wait to get my income taxes back!!!! also, what kind of mod's can be done to the saftey, instead of cussin and tryin to pull it back, don't really want a ring on her ither. thanks all

By the way, got the m44 re-assembled, cleaned the 50+ years of junk from inside the bolt, re-did the stock, blued the barrel, and gotta re-blue the reciever, and bayo-mount and she'll be done! It feels so darn good to see a project turning out good!

Brenden

Brenden,

About the only replacement trigger for a Mosin that I'm aware of is the Huber Concepts trigger but unfortunately, they're not cheap.

Here's a write up on them: Huber Concepts Trigger Article on Surplusrifle.com

Then again, Steve Wagner reports decent results by adjusting the factory trigger with some homebrew mods: Steve Wagner Mosin Nagant Article

Me personally, I just got used to the trigger "as is." They do move about three feet before the gun goes off, but after a few rounds, I got used to it and don't have much trouble with them now.

Your mileage may very sir.

-Jason

Brenden,

About the only replacement trigger for a Mosin that I'm aware of is the Huber Concepts trigger but unfortunately, they're not cheap.

Then again, Steve Wagner reports decent results by adjusting the factory trigger with some homebrew mods: Steve Wagner Mosin Nagant Article

Me personally, I just got used to the trigger "as is." They do move about three feet before the gun goes off, but after a few rounds, I got used to it and don't have much trouble with them now.

Your mileage may very sir.

-Jason

Thank you Jason. I've looked at the Huber's, $75 bucks is a good amount of cash to me for no more than you get. but really whats $75 bucks if you have what you want, and you start out w/ a $60 gun anyway? I'll look at the steve wagner report and maybe i can fab up something on my own, i've found these mosins to be pretty cool and simple, hence if you screw up, no biggie. My trigger moves about 6 feet give or take an inch, i'm getting used to it but just would like to have something a little better. well sir i thank ya. Take care.

Brenden

I've looked at the Huber's, $75 bucks is a good amount of cash to me for no more than you get. but really whats $75 bucks if you have what you want, and you start out w/ a $60 gun anyway?

Therein lies the problem: there is no cheap solution for Mosin Nagant trigger pull. You can have a cheap, issue rifle with a long, stiff trigger pull or you can have a somewhat crisper, but not necessarily lighter trigger pull. But - if you want better, you have to pay for it.

I looked at the problem from your standpoint of a $75 trigger on a $75 rifle and decided I could live with what I had.

...One last thing to consider might be dehorning the sear engagement surfaces like you would with a Mauser. That *might* help.

i know, more money to put in than what its worth. I'll prob. pass on the huber. I think i can grind a little bit here and there and make something work. key word think. looked at wangners idea, its not bad, but i'm not sold on it ither. Just looks kinda wierd to me, nobody would know but me, but me is enough. I might be able to live with what i got. Heck, lived with it this long. what type of mosin do you have, i've been lookin at buyin a 91/30 to trick out. Any comments on them?

Brenden

• 5 months later...
Therein lies the problem: there is no cheap solution for Mosin Nagant trigger pull. You can have a cheap, issue rifle with a long, stiff trigger pull or you can have a somewhat crisper, but not necessarily lighter trigger pull. But - if you want better, you have to pay for it.

I looked at the problem from your standpoint of a $75 trigger on a $75 rifle and decided I could live with what I had.

...One last thing to consider might be dehorning the sear engagement surfaces like you would with a Mauser. That *might* help.

I was perplexed by your same thoughts until I found a cheap fix. I did the work myself at a cost of about $6. I had to buy a drill bit and tap and a couple of set screws. The 3/16" set screw worked the best. I didn't trust the 1/8" screw but YMMV. I drilled from the bottom at a slight rearward angle and it worked perfectly. I couldn't believe the difference. It is easy to practice smithing on a cheap rifle and very satisfying if things turn out as well or better than you expect, which they did. Try this fix for the MN 91/30 trigger: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic...=28&t=50969 Here is a link to my project which involves reworking the trigger: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=369278