Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Pic For Ya

Brenden

Hello all. I didn't want to intrude on Mikes Elk hunt thread, so i though i'd post here. This is my first buck with a bow, taken this past archery season. 10 yard shot, he went 20 feet. Was a 3 year old spike, time to take him out. The bow was a darton apache that my dad bought for me over 6 years ago. I've got a new fire storm lite pse, but that old darton has alot of meaning to me since the greates man that ever walked bought it for me :D . Its taken 2 deer in the past 6 years. I don't shoot much, just enjoy watching God's creations. Any body else on here bow hunt?

Brenden

post-3488-1201624249_thumb.jpg

Sweet!

I've always wanted to bow hunt. Maybe someday when/if I get some property. All the more special since the bow has some meaning to you. Always a plus. That's kinda how I feel about using the rifles I've built. Sure a Rem 700 could've done it too but MY rifle produced when it counted.

i'm trying to get more serious about it. ordered more arrows, checking out the local ranges. maybe not this coming year, but soon i'll be out there with my Martin.

mike, I'm always looking for a bow hunting partner....WV may be a drive for ya but it would be worth it :D

724wd, get super serious, nothing better than anxiously waiting in your tree stand an hour before daylight with a stick and string. And watching those deer walk directly under your stand and not knowing your there.....awww man i wanna go climb a tree now!

Brenden

not too sure on the tree thing. there's so much out there about stolen stands, vandalism, etc... (not to mentions being stuck in one cold spot) i'm gonna give it a go on the ground. and, EGADS! with ALUMINUM ARROWS! i know... pretty old school. i love being different! =)

724wd, I live in the middle of no-wherevill, I never have had a stand stolen or vandled. I hunted off the ground for a year or so, had good luck, but also educated alot of deer. Just like gun hunting, find a good spot with a 30-40 yard shooting max and set your stand. The last day i bow hunted, i saw 18 deer. Hunted that stand for 3 weeks, with many back to back mornings. Never educated them :D Nothing wrong w/alluminum arrows. I used to use them. I just like carbon for the duribulity, and they don't bend, just break into tiny pieces.lol if ya do get into it, try the wasp 75 grain broadhead. Only a 1 inch cutting dia. but boy oh boy do they put them down in short order.

Brenden

I've shot bows for years,lets see,42 years I reckon.I was in the 7th grade and got on an archery team,and won second place in a state tournament,but I don't think there were over 5 schools that participated.My twin brother took second place in a different draw class.At the end of that first year,our instructor brought out a compound and showed it to us,and man did we ever laugh our butts off at that thing.The George Jetson bow.Even the instructor said he didn't think it'd ever go over.Let me figure what year that was.1966 me thinks.I shot recurves for about 6 more years until the limbs twisted on my Ben Pearson Cougar right before a hog hunt on the Texas coast,so I went to buy a new bow,and that's the day I went compound.They had a Browning Cobra,2 wheel wood and laminate bow so I bought it.It was 75 bucks,and I was scared my new wife would flip out when I showed it to her.Right out of the box,first 5 shots were grouped half the size I did with my recurve.Turns out,wifey had an archery class in school,and thought it was neat and pretty,and saw how good I was doing with it,and all was well.After that first day,I started developing the normal bad habits,and the groups opened up,but was still way better than the recurve.Now I'm 54,and want to go back to a nice 50-55lb Bear Grizzly recurve.A lot of years I had no place to shoot,but that's changed now.I hunted years with my compounds,but gave them up when the blackpowder craze started,and am ready to get back into it.The ranch I hunt on the Mexican border is covered up with javelinas,and every year I wish I had a bow.

hunting javies with a bow? man, i wish we had pigs around here.... wait, no i dont. i just wish there were affordable hunting options for hogs. anyone have hogs they want dispatched? i would love to take my dad and father-in-law pig hunting. javalina would be even better! i ordered some arrows the other day, and a set of FOB's for my current carbons. Fletching-Only-Better. guys are having fantastic luck with them. look up starrflight.com to see them. and paul, the creator seems like a real stand up guy. i've chatted to him a couple of times and he's always looking to improve or help someone with questions.

horse fly, i just sold an old browning cobra 2, for $25! had that thing forever, shot it about 6 times. I've got an old Bear recurve, a super mag 48 i believe, its a lefty cuz my dad bought it years ago and shot maybe 4 arrows through it, i can't use it cuz i'm right handed. I tell ya, my dream is to take a bear and a elk with a bow. I would love it. I started fletching my own arrows, and it makes a big diffrence. went to 2 inch vanes, accurcy is un-real. I use to shoot about 100 arrows a day, could crack my own arrows up to 50 yards. Now days with school and working, i shoot two weeks before season :( . i shouldn't do it but i do. wish i still was younger and had the time. responsibility sucks! I'd absoultly love for a few of us to get together and shoot bows or hunt deer/hogs/anything. When i get outta college, (two more years), we'll all have to get together and shoot, or hunt. hopefully both!

Brenden