Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How Times Have Changed

Ron J

When I was 12, I had my tonsils out. I hemorraged pretty bad and was there 3 days. I remember being "out" for most of the 2nd day. Fast forward 42 years. I arrived at a hospital yesterday at 11:00 AM. at 2:00 I was in surgery having 2 vertabrae drilled open in my lower neck to relieve nerves that were crushed from bad discs. I signed my realease papers at 1:00PM today and was home at 2:00. 26 hours total hospital stay. There's gonna be some extensive therapy before my left hand works properly, but never the less, that's pretty amazing what they did. And right now just some soreness around the neck. I'll be back on the Higgins stock in no time! LOL.

PS; Some guys will do anything for a few days off.

A fairly new drug and chemo treatment that has only been available for a few years has kept me alive. Dr told my 5 year survivability chances would have been less that 10% 5 years ago. I get a single injection of a new wonder drug that costs a mere $15,000. The out-of-pocket costs not covered by insurance have definitely changed my lifestyle but at least I'm here to complain about it.

Az, hang in there and fight. don't ever let it get you down. When your down and give up, your time will become short. I've watched alot of family and friends give up, the will to fight left them, and so did they leave us. Take care and thank God every day your here. Your a fighter.

Walnut, I wouldn't have my neck drilled on for a few days w/ the J.C higgins...lol. Get to feeling better.

Wish all well. Think alot of you dudes.

Brenden

Walnut

Here's one for ya. On the 14th of Dec. went in at 5am for surgery, surgery at 8am, in the hospital room at 2pm. Next morning at 8am Dr. says you're going home, home by1pm on the 15th of Dec.

They removed 2 discs at C6-7 and at C5-6, put in plasic implants and a titanium plate and 6 screws. I've still got some soreness in my right shoulder, but therapy is taking some of that away. I lost 30-40% of the strength in my left arm before surgery which may or may not come back. Still have to wear this neck brace for 5 more weeks. Yes times have changed and all for the better now, no more long hospital stays, I think they found that you heal better at home.

AZ

It sounds like that one shot was worth the price. You hang in there and keep plugging along, the advances in Cancer therapy are great. I just wish they were better before, I lost a lot of good people to the big C, HANG IN.

In my days with the DOE, I worked on the Neutron Therapy treatment facility @ Fermilab and on the Proton Therapy accelerator for Loma Linda Medical Center in CA. Both do a fine job and have helped a lot of folks, and I'm glad to have been part of the team. They are in the talking stage about putting in a Proton center here in Northern IL. and I've volunteered to come in without pay to help in any way I can with the construction. If it saves one person that will be pay enough for me.

Rebel49