Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hunt Pictures

AzRednek

This was the only petroglyph I found. Obviously weather beaten the only un-natural part to show in the photograph are the white lines in the upper right. The black blended in with the rock's natural color just doesn't show in the picture.

sears128.jpg

I found it just over the top of this hill.

sears129.jpg

At my insistence we stopped and hunted this area as I mistakenly thought from a distance that the cactus in the middle was a crested Saguaro, worth about $10-20,000 in the illegal black market.

sears134.jpg

The area was just to miserable to hunt. We spent more time puling cactus and brush thorns than we did looking for pigs.

sears136.jpg

Area was just to brushy and after dealing with a so-called jumping cactus out of my thigh and no tracks we moved on.

sears135.jpg

The cactus on the right is an example of one of the several varieties of the so-called jumping cactus. This one has very fine, sharp thorns that are difficult without tweezers. Doesn't seem like a real Javalina hunt with out getting a few cactus sticks.

sears131.jpg

This is Javalina country, one of their favorite foods is the Prickly Pear Cactus. Just below the mountain in the back ground was a dry wash where we spent a good portion of two days following tracks and piles. Doesn't show to well in the picture. In the center the Prickly Pear is beaten down and shredded by feasting Javalina. Dead Javalina are often found with Prickly Pear thorns in their mouths, doesn't seem to bother them. We found a few dried up and old piles around the cactus. We followed the old tracks from the cactus that led us into fresher tracks in the wash.

sears133.jpg

My son is returning next weekend with my brother. I go back to the hospital tomorrow and wont be able to tag along.