Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finished Stock

weaver77

well here it is all bright and shiny its a 25-06 i finished the metal with kg gun kote in satin black and brushed stainless i like this metal finish alot better than duracoat or durabake DCP_1845.jpgDCP_1850.jpgDCP_1846.jpg

why? looks? easier to use?

the dura bake is a little easier to use as you dont have to preheat the metal but it does not dry verry fast if ever and is hard to handle trying to get it i the oven because it will still smear

the kg gun kote is easier to apply once you have preheated the metal it sticks better and starts dying immediatly and is less prone to run in just a few miniutes you can handle it with latex gloves and get it in the oven

i try not to touch it untill its cured but it seems you always bump it a little trying to get it in the oven and the bumps show in the dura bake they dont in the kg gun kote

so for my money im using the kg gun kote

if you ment dura coat that stuff takes to long to cure something like 21 days to fully harden

weaver77

Best I can tell from the pictures the finish looks pretty good to me but now you've sparked my curiosity looking for all the details of you project. What kind/brand of barrel, stock and what are your plans for scope,sights trigger etc ?? Shot it yet?? I have to admit to being guilty of shooting a few long before the scope or sights were mounted, mainly to just get a look at the expended brass to see if the headspace looks good but really just to feel good after it goes bang.

Best I can tell from the pictures the finish looks pretty good to me but now you've sparked my curiosity looking for all the details of you project. What kind/brand of barrel, stock and what are your plans for scope,sights trigger etc ?? Shot it yet?? I have to admit to being guilty of shooting a few long before the scope or sights were mounted, mainly to just get a look at the expended brass to see if the headspace looks good but really just to feel good after it goes bang.

Heh Heh!!! I shoot em all before they have stock, bottommetal, triggers even,, [just flip the safety off!!] , I just can't help it.. Kinda like flirtin' w/ young girls!!!! MV

this one all ready has a new home its part of a trade i worked with another friend has bold trigger a&b f34 24" 1pc redfield base mk11 safety i just got thru setting trigger to 2 1/2 lbs and putting my beater 3x9 redfied on so i can test fire with factry ammo thursday it has minimum head spacing and i went ahead and lapped the barrel seems like i end up doing it any way on the a&b i quit useing them on my own builds even though i have had good luck with them they clean up alot fast after lapping i have two i think im going to list for sale an f54 6.5 blank 26" long and a 24" f34 .243 any takers or trade for 25 cal. well if im lucky this thing will one hole on thursday ill try and remember to post up date

weaver77

A barrel lapping tutorial would be a great contribution too....

(aren't we demanding)?

yes you are and you may have to wait a while before i use a barrel that needs lapping well its more of a polishing technique to slick barrel up alittle actual lead lapping is more than i am set up to do i am still working in my garage and running over to a couple of buddies to get on their lathes but my shop is in the works just waiting on this years tax return thanks to our "superior" goverment representation and the ecconomic growth tax reimbursment the slab will get poured late spring early summer then i can start gathering all my equipment back up and set everthing up in my dedicated gun room i may even splurge and replace my old welder with a tig