Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Avatar

roscoedoh

Its a flying squirrel actually and was a present from my former house cats. There's a funny story accompanies this picture...

One evening, back when I lived in the trailer, I was reading through my TPWD Type II permit guide that I'd just got in the mail that afternoon. It was a nice evening, about like it is now, so I had the door open to let some fresh air in. Around this time I had three cats and they all lived outside under the trailer. However, since I'd left the door open, they kept trying explore my house which was a no-no because cats don't come inside in my house. As I had run out of things to toss at the door to shoo them away, I closed the door and returned to my reading. Some time passes and I hear them scratching at the door. I got tired of listening to them paw the door and got up to see about it. This is where the story gets interesting.

Some say they see a like just before they die. Others say they've seen a light and a man standing in a door way just before they die. I have to wonder if that's true or not.

When I opened to the door to shut the cats up, they presented me with the above flying squirrel. Believe it or not, its not uncommon for cats to catch flying squirrels because the squirrels do come down out of the trees at night to feed. All it takes is a patient cat and you've got a dead rodent on your hands. Its also not uncommon for cats to present you with their kills. In fact, when my mother remarried some years ago, the step father's cats presented them with a dead flying squirrel too. Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

So I'm standing there, with three cats in front me, one bearing a flying squirrel. Just as I was thinking "hmm, isn't this nice. How do I get rid of this thing without ticking the cats off?" the squirrel came back to life and flew between my legs. Remember my comments about the man at the door and the bright light? Well apparently, the poor little guy had been terribly traumatized when my cat caught it and bit it. Makes sense right? Well...apparently seeing the door open, a bright light, and a giant standing there was just too much for the little fella to handle. That flying rat flew right between my legs and stuck to the couch on the far side of the room! Oh great...now I've got a fast flying rat loose in the house. Ahh...calm down, you can handle this. Get the welding gloves out of the tool box on the truck, grab the squirrel and return it to whence it came. Sounds like a plan! One hitch...no sooner did I move than the squirrel went airborne again. You know, one of the traits that all mobile homes share is a hallway that leads straight through the place. While that makes it easy to find the bedroom when you've had to much to drink, it also made direct path for a terrified flying squirrel fleeing for its life.

No sooner had I flinched than the squirrel that had been glued to my couch was now somewhere under my bed. And that's a bad thing. When I moved out of the trailer at the first of the year, I moved enough stuff to comfortably fill a three bedroom house. And guess what? I had a lot of that stuff in my bedroom. That made for lots of places for squeaky the squirrel to hide. Guess what else? Flying squirrels move fast and bite hard. I wasn't about to go digging through my room only get the snot bite out of me by this little bugger. Now what? Well...

I opened all the doors and windows and politely ushered all the cats inside and herded them all back to the bedroom. Who else better to catch a rodent? Feeling like I could do nothing more, I resumed my reading listening to stuff crashing around and cats meowing and hissing.

It got real quiet around 11:00PM or so and I was getting sleepy so I went to check on their progress. I was delighted to find all three cats sitting quietly, focused of the shelving I had the corner of the room. There, on a stack of towels, cornered and scared out of its mind, was the above flying squirrel. I'd had time to retrieve my welding gloves and was prepared this time. With a gloved hand, I quickly grabbed the squirrel and shooed the cats out of the house. Alright, mission accomplished! Now what? Nobody's gonna believe this if I don't have something to show for it. Since the only camera working at the time was my webcam, I sat down at the computer and lit up the webcam. My new friend agreed to pose for one quick snap shot before he had to go home.

Wanting neither him to return nor my cats to catch him again, I flung the back door open and doing my best impression of Tony Romo trying to get Jessica's attention, launched that flying squirrel into the cool night air never to be seen again.

I found that photo last night while searching for bolt handle pictures and figured you guys would appreciate it. May you all be well and live free of flying rodents!

-Jason

When I was living alone I had a stray cat hanging around my drive-way that I finally felt sorry for and I tossed him a hunk of meat out of my Chinese take-out. After that, the persistent cat was waiting for me everyday when I returned home from work and before long I was buying catfood. About once a week he'd leave me a either a mouse, gopher, bird or some huge insects by the back door.

When we were living in Bryan, TX, there was a squirrel nest up one of my oak trees in the back yard. After a big storm, I looked and the nest was blown down and one of the dogs, shithead (half Ridgeback, 1/4 Doberman, 1/4 Pit Bull), was going to town on the nest. I think she had already killed one and was going for another. I put my welding gloves on, and took one away from her and stuck it back on the tree where it scampered back up.

My outside cats catch the occasional squirrel, bird, mole, etc. here. I rescued a squirrel from one of them once. Another carries half a squirrel around like a sandwich, and don't even think to trying to take it from him. We call them "Squirrel Sandwiches." I've seen him sit there looking at a coon eat his cat food, saying "Daddy's gonna kill you." I blast the coon, say with an SKS at 10 ft with the cat a few feet away and he doesn't even move. Just says "Told you so."

I caught a few baby coons one time, the mother had been run over by a car. Instead of shooting them or letting them starve, i took them home...mistake #1. My neighbor needed my coon cage one day, and thats where i had placed the 2 young ones, so i grabbed a pet carrier and tried to dump the litte ones in it....mistake #2. Ended up, both got loose and i grabbed the one, it craped and pissed all over me so i threw it in the carrier, the other, well i grabbed it and he bit the living tar outta me, and i procceded to throw it like a soft ball....This was his mistake #1. Months went by, coon season came in, and one night he came back, and went up the tree by my coon hounds box...mistake #2. I went up, took one look at him, and said, oh buddy, pay back is a coming. He met his match that night and my hound from then on was one powerful tree dog. I've also got pleanty of stray cat stories, pm me for those :D lol

brenden