Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Timney Mosin Trigger Sugestions

dirtyjim

I just added a request for the same, with added emphasis on a side safety. That is in my opinion the most challenging aspect of the mosin. I have been working on an M-44 for quite some time now, and once I get back from this deployment I hope to finish it up. I have made a cantilever scope mount based off of my Remington slug barrel, welded bolt handle, and put in a boyds sporter stock. Long ways to go, but some day I'll get er done.

i have two mosin sporters i'm collecting parts for that will need something done with the triggers. one will be a pre-war style sporter with a butterknife bolt handle chambered in the original 7.62x54. its trigger will be simple, i'll just reshape the original trigger to be the kickoff for a double set trigger.

the other will be a modern style tactical rifle with a 6.5x55 barrel, i'm going to swage a rim onto 6.5x55 brass to keep from having to do any bolt, extractor & ejector mods.

i'm trying to locate one of the valmet triggers for it, unless timney decides to build one

i'm going to swage a rim onto 6.5x55 brass to keep from having to do any bolt, extractor & ejector mods.

Have you looked at forming 6.5x55 Rimmed brass from 7.62X54R cases?

Norma brass has a nice relief groove just forward of the rim. You can use a special die to shave the base down from 0.485 to 0.479. That relief groove should eliminate the need for messy cleanup.

4D dies (http://www.ch4d.com/) sells the shaving dies. The web page specifies one die can do 0.005 at a time. I'm not sure that that's overall diameter or per side. One die is listed at 71.71.

The only real issue that I see is that the brass will be a little shorter than standard 6.5x55. As long as the cases are all the same length, I'm not sure that it makes a difference.

If it's workable, you can always donate the dies to the co-op for others to use.

i had considerd necking down 7.62x54r brass to 6.5mm. by swaging a rim to 6.5x55 brass it should eliminate all of the custom dies & reamers. it will headspace on the shoulder instead of the rim. i should beable to use a standard 6.5x55 reamer & headpace guages. to load for it i should be able to use a 7.62x54 shell holder with 6.5x55 dies.

here is a link on how to swage rims onto a normal case.

• 9 months later...
timney's going to build a mosin trigger.

timney trigger

Thx Jim for the links. I didn't see anything in the press release about a trigger safety for the Nagant. Hopefully they will offer it as an option.

I've been to Timney several times. Way back in the 70's the founder, Mr Timney reamed my 30/30 to the improved version. His son now operates the business. He is a nice guy but a walk-in customer can't beg, barrow or steal a discount.

I didn't see anything in the press release about a trigger safety for the Nagant. Hopefully they will offer it as an option.

"Since last March, Timney has been asking shooters and hunters, "What trigger would you like us to build next?" The response has been incredible and our customers have provided the winner. Or should we say winners, the survey ended in a dead tie. This year's "Customer's Choice" Timney Triggers are the Mosin Nagant and the Husqvarna replacement triggers and will be available for purchase spring 2009. Timney Triggers appreciates its customers and wants to thank all the survey participants for their input."

I just wonder how much this trigger will set one back? Most likely more than the gun is worth, as in the case with all after market mosin parts. I need to find a decient barrel or complete gun so i can ither put a new barrel on or just sport a new one. 2 set in my gun safe. one in execellent condition, and the other with a rough bore...decesions.....

Brenden

I just wonder how much this trigger will set one back? Most likely more than the gun is worth, as in the case with all after market mosin parts. I need to find a decient barrel or complete gun so i can ither put a new barrel on or just sport a new one. 2 set in my gun safe. one in execellent condition, and the other with a rough bore...decesions.....

Brenden

My guess is the trigger will be pricey. I can assume Timney will try and recoup their tooling, research and development investment as soon as possible. Kind of like when a new drug hits the market. If it is about the value of the rifle, you lose as soon as you alter it from it's original condition. Even though the market is flooded with Nagants, 50 years from now an unaltered Nagant will be worth much more. In the 50 and 60's, 03's and M-1's were a dime a dozen and look what original condition models fetch today compared to perfect and beautiful sporters. Sport one and save one will help prevent the guilt feelings of spoiling a future collector's piece.

*If* Timney can get a working aftermarket trigger into the marketplace, they could almost charge whatever they wanted for it and lots of people would buy them. There's a ton of Mosins available right now that are cheap and in good condition and there's lots of guys mounting scopes and buying sporter stocks for them. If anyone can get an aftermarket adjustable trigger online for this rifles, I think there's plenty opportunity to sell them.

My guess is the trigger will be pricey. I can assume Timney will try and recoup their tooling, research and development investment as soon as possible. Kind of like when a new drug hits the market. If it is about the value of the rifle, you lose as soon as you alter it from it's original condition. Even though the market is flooded with Nagants, 50 years from now an unaltered Nagant will be worth much more. In the 50 and 60's, 03's and M-1's were a dime a dozen and look what original condition models fetch today compared to perfect and beautiful sporters. Sport one and save one will help prevent the guilt feelings of spoiling a future collector's piece.

I agree, the value will go up - but at 17.3 million made is russia alone I'm not sure they'll ever get quite as scarce at the 03's & M1's. Not it my lifetime anyway.