Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sticker Shock

Thor

I'm pretty well stocked right now and it's been a while since I've bought any bullets. But I thought I would go window shopping, checking price on premium (Barnes) bullets. Boy, did I get a sticker shock. Bullets have increased dramatically, not just Barnes, but all of them, even the cheaper ones. :blink: Anybody else notice this?

Thor,

You're not alone, and you must have had quite a stock to not notice until now.

I'm shooting mostly cast at this point. It's not so bad once you get all the copper out of barrels and get them "seasoned" to real lead. The only downside of this is that FRICKIN GAS CHECKS are still expensive.

You can still get your milsurp stuff to do around 2000 fps accurately. I typically was only getting 2500 with jacketed and only shoot to 200 yds and so I'm happy. An advantage is that issue sights that shoot high at 100 with issue loads are usually much closer with cast loads.

Casting can be another whole fun project unto itself (as if any of us wonks really need that). There's fun advanced techniques like pouring noses with pure soft lead followed by bodies with harder alloys to make expanding hunting bullets - I'm looking forward to trying some of these this Fall.

You're not alone, and you must have had quite a stock to not notice until now.

(as if any of us wonks really need that).

Well I learned one new one syllable word earlier this week (wank) and now learn another one (wonk). You don't find these words in Reader's Digest nowadays. :blink: Sounds like a wonk is a geek. :P

Reason it's such a shock is that I haven't been shopping in some time. I've probably got 2000 rounds, and have slowed considerably on shooting as I have been more domesticated by my wife. Meaning doing remodeling and more yardwork. Remodeling is necessary and I'm enjoying working flowerbeds and landscaping nowadays, but do need to get back to more shooting.

I will certainly be watching more for bargains. I can't afford the vendor prices. :(

• 1 month later...

No doubt, gentlemen. I've run into the same issue, with the result that I've decided to shoot ONLY cast bullets, from now on. I have been experimenting with paper-patching and I am starting to get some good results. As for me, Hornady, Barnes, Sierra, Speer, Remington, etc., etc., etc can all stick their over-priced products "where the sun don't shine".

• 2 weeks later...