Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Am Refinishing The Stock

couchfighter75

I was wondering about The section that covers refinishing the factory stock. It says to use oil etc. I would like to use polyurethane to cote the stock. I have a factory laminate stock, so are the techniques any different because of this. also I would like to know if I should be wet sanding or dry sanding and with any chemicals if it is laminate?

Do laminate the same as a solid wood stock.

Make sure all the old finish is off, buggers in the wood are all well sanded, and the wood is clean from oil or other contaminates.

If you are spraying, be sure the inletting is masked.

With polyurethane, etc you normally won't rub the coat out unless it is bad, just lightly sand until it is consistently smoothe all over and apply another coat. Not too many coats with PU though, maybe three good ones and quit. It gets thick and gunky looking.

Good luck,

Brad

Do laminate the same as a solid wood stock.

Make sure all the old finish is off, buggers in the wood are all well sanded, and the wood is clean from oil or other contaminates.

This much I agree with.

I have to chime in and say that I don't think that poly on an old stock is a good idea.

You'll never get all the oil out of the stock.

They were first soaked in linseed then surly there was some gun oil.

Poly on a new stock is fine but to refinish a old oil soaked stock, I say use an oil base

finish.

My fear is that the poly will 'float' on top of the oil and will chip off when dinged.

Tinker

don't mean to sound like an expert here or anything, cuz most have prob. done more stocks than i but i've redone quite a few military stocks for people and i coat the poly on them like you wouldn't believe. On my m48, i believe i put 10 coats of poly on it, and you can smack it with a hammer and no chip at all. after 5 coats or so, take steel wool to it, 4 ought. and keep putting it on. I put a lot of poly on my guns, kinda adds some extra protection and it looks really good, you can beat it around and not even dent the stock, thought you may dent the poly. just me, tho.

Brenden

don't mean to sound like an expert here or anything, cuz most have prob. done more stocks than i but i've redone quite a few military stocks for people and i coat the poly on them like you wouldn't believe. On my m48, i believe i put 10 coats of poly on it, and you can smack it with a hammer and no chip at all. after 5 coats or so, take steel wool to it, 4 ought. and keep putting it on. I put a lot of poly on my guns, kinda adds some extra protection and it looks really good, you can beat it around and not even dent the stock, thought you may dent the poly. just me, tho.

Brenden

yeah, but it looks like a bowling alley.

I dont consider it looking like a bowling alley, looks pretty damn good to me. Use a non-gloss (satin) finish, then it won't shine and look like a bowling alley, nor does the wood look "deep" under the poly. hell, look at the remingtons, look how much poly they put on. Must look pretty good to people, they make alot of sales.

Brenden

I never liked the Rem ADL deep poly finish. That's why I do my own. Different strokes as they say.

I was funnin ya.

I never liked the Rem ADL deep poly finish. That's why I do my own. Different strokes as they say.

I was funnin ya.

Sometimes i like the deep finish, mostly on rifles, but on an old single shot shot gun, i like a mild finish. I'm currently re-working a 1903 springfield for a guy, and he wants the poly poured on it. Thats fine with me, hes paying the bill, plus i think it will look good on this gun, has a fajen stock on it, beautiful wood. I get the "pour the poly on" from my dad, i'll stop at a few coats and he'll swear it needs more. Good ol dad, gotta love him. I appoligize for gettin a lil snippy with ya Mike, seems like it don't take much to set me off these days. But no offense taken, and hope you didn't take any by me.

Brenden