Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nice Day At The Range.

karlunity

I have a Vz-24 that had been going bad..wider and wider groups.

So, before I spring for a new barrel I decided to shorten the old barrel and re crown it.

The only problem was that I had to add a new front sight.

I had an old front sight in the coffee can from a 03 turk that fit the Vz like it was made for it.

Result? 3 shot groups at 50 meters, firing from sand bags, that you can cover with your thumb. : )

I even got an avg of 4 out of six shots in the black at 25 meters with my 1860 colt!!! I'm BAD...

Karl

I took a Swede 96 sporter out for a test run a while back,and it looked like I had too much Crown from the way the shots were scattered all over the paper.I put a Wide Angle Redfield I bought from a cat at work years ago,and hope that's the problem.He said he couldn't hit squat with it,and maybe he's right.The Swede barrel is a no.1 on the stock disc,and it looks it too.Ya Karl,your are bad,unless you have one hell-uva big thumb. Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

If You don't have iron sights, some fellas take them off when they scope the rifle, take the rifle to the 10 yard line and fire five rounds, let it cool for a minute and fire five more that will show you how she groups. if the irons sights are still there, the 25 yard line is preferred.

If she still groups badly, float the barrel, if that does not work, counter bore.

That you can do with a drill press. All is not lost. : )

Take care.

Karl.

P.S.

Regular thumb : )

It was a good day.

P.P.S I dislike scopes. It seems, that unless the scope cost more than the rifle, it has to be replaced every year or two and you never know when the darn thing is gonna die.

P.P.P.S.

"How was the old crown" ?

Funny thing is that it did not lookbad but the groups kept growing. : )

karl