Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Weekend

724wd

big show in spokane this weekend. wife and baby went with me on saturday as i'm not to be trusted alone... (i was cleared to buy whatever i wanted, but had back surgery on monday and am not supposed to lift over 5 pounds). i wasn't looking for anything in particular, but was thinking about a 12 gauge defense shotgun and any good mauser/mauser parts deals.

tons of ammo available, including .223 and 7.62, but at over .50 cents a round, i didnt want it that bad. i know that's the going rate, but geez! just doesnt seem right for surplus ammo! a couple of decent mausers, the most interesting being the small ring 98. i believe a polish k98k. it was in pretty rough shape and over priced for what i was willing to pay. saw one 98 shotgun, but what the heck do i need one of THOSE for?

a couple of Rem 870 shotguns i looked at, but the more i got to thinking about it, my dad has a new 20 gauge youth model sitting in the safe. they make mag extensions for them and the stocks interchange. a 20 gauge the wife might not be too scared to shoot! now i gotta call him and talk him out of it. i'll say it's for Anya, though she's only 9 months now.

the best mauser i passed on was a very nice argentine 1909 with a slightly shortened stock and issue sights removed. nice blue job and correct trigger guard. $400 would have brought it home, but i'd be buying it pretty much just for the trigger guard. looked hard at a couple of single shots... ruger #1's, custom martini's, and small drop action .22's. it all came down to "do i NEED it?" and of course the answer was no. i did leave with a stock blank of black walnut and some Girl Scout cookies (thin mints) for the wife. had fun and saw some beauties... just didnt want any of them bad enough to drop the dough...

worst deal i say was a m24/47 for $475... SOG and Century are still selling them for under $150!

I was surprised there wasnt a single steyr m95 in attendance. last show there were several. i keep looking at them, but the ammo situation leaves me wondering if it's worth it.

my neighbor got a 99.5% Colt python 6" to complete his set. and a SW .22 Rem Jet and a handful of benchmade knives. he's got a bit more discretionary income than i...

anyone else been to a good show lately?

heath

We had our show here in Bakersfield this weekend. I live in the mountains so it is 35 miles each way for three days. Paid $70 for a table and had gross sales of $65. They don't call me killer for nothing. Butt is is sore and flat from sitting in the dumb plastic chairs.

But to ease my pain I dumped a grand or so (don't tell z, he still thinks I am going to pay him what I owe him).

Wheeee... we do this why? :o

Brad