Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hawaii Gun Violence And Ownership

FC

Well, the Honolulu Advertiser has a big front page story. It attributes strict gun laws to Hawaii being at the bottom of gun violence. It also attributes isolation from other states, and a law-abiding populace to the number.

Well, whatcha think?

Maybe they're right.If they have strict gun laws that work,are fair,just,and reasonable,good for them.As far as being isolated from other states,I don't buy that.Texas has the best neighbors,and we can blame no crime on them.Our neighbor to the south is causing a big,very big chunk of our crime.Every days news is filled with drive-bys,and shootings at birthday parties by gangs with taco-bender names.There's a Laotian village,settlement,compound thing,whatever you want to call it on the north side of Keller,and the punks that live there fight and shoot the gangs in Haltom City and Ft.Worth that are Vietnamese and other Oriental folks.The girls in that village go on to be math superstars while the punks drive around in little cars with a real big tailpipe,tires that stick out past the fender wells,with the windows so tinted you can't see in,just looking for someone to shoot.At least they seem to shoot and kill mostly their own kind of people.If the Pacific was 100 yards wide,Hawaii wouldn't have anything to brag about,as far as crime goes.If that article is true,well,good for Hawaii.Jerry

They quoted the district atty., I think, who boasted how good the restrictive laws are. They listed NY and MA as being low gun crime, didn't mention ILL or D.C.

This reinforces my opinion that we gun owners had better find ways to reach peoples' minds other than the old way we've been doing business. The same tired quotes will be said while little by little we lose ground. We have to find a way to identify with, and address the concerns of the non-gun owning public.

I hate poi. For those who don't know, it's taro root. It's tasteless, brown mush that has no flavor. It looks sort of like thin refried beans. We bought some fantastic puto today. They're like little rice flour cupcakes. But anyway, maybe mochi makes people passive- hey the Japs eat it! Good stuff!

Back to the subject: Old slogans like prying "my cold, dead fingers from my gun", and, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people" will lose this war for us. We'd better show people who never touch a gun why they should let you have a gun. The 2nd Ammendment will simply slow down their decision to remove your firearm from your ownership.

It attributes strict gun laws to Hawaii being at the bottom of gun violence.

But how did it do in violent crime overall? Usually when "gun violence" goes down the fist/stick/knife/leadpipe violence goes up. In Australia the home invasion rates went up quite a bit.

Instead letting the DA point an incomplete picture, point out the reality.

Jimro

I don't know, but it doesn't seem too bad. When I lived in Waco 1982-83, and Lousiana in the later 80s, crime was so bad you were always looking over your shoulder. I worried about black on white crime the most, but didn't worry as much about crime around Ft. Hood, but it was still there. Around San Antonio, you stayed out of the Chicano areas, but most of the Mexicans left you alone.

Here in Hawaii, there is some theft, some violent crime, but it's not as big of a worry. There is a lot of gang grafitti, but I don't know what the gangs are. I'm ashamed to say, but in Hawaii, the locals are fairly pleasant, and the whites are the discourteous ones, as well as the most unfriendly drivers. The locals let you into traffic.