Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What's It Worth?

ken98k

My 5 year old Bluebook says 80-450, add 30% for matching bayonet.

It's got one of the smoothest actions I've ever felt but if it's only worth 450 I'd be better off parting it out.

It's got one of the smoothest actions I've ever felt but if it's only worth 450 I'd be better off parting it out.

I know the feeling well, I used to have an 09 Argie sniper's rifle. The action was incredibly smooth, by far better than anything I've ever owned. Not quite as smooth as a US Krag with it's single lug but as good as any Brit Enfield or modern commercial rifle I've owned. I can pretty well speculate some German worker spent some time hand fitting the parts. Even the trigger was by far superior to any military rifle I have ever shot or dry-fired. I still have an an Argie manufactured 09 Calvary Carbine it's action is ok but no where near as good as the German made sniper rifle.

I came close several times to salvaging the sniper rifle for it's smooth action and even got as far as listing the turret scope mounts on Ebay. I wound up pulling the scope mount auction and trading it for a Springfield M-1 rifle. Unfortunately the sniper rifle came from SARCO with a dark bore and it's accuracy was mediocre. Two friends also got one and their's as well came with dark bores. I got the bore looking good by shooting it several hundred times but as I shot it, it's accuracy grew progressively worse.

Bear in mind the Bluebook price I gave you was from a 5 year old book. it could possibly be worth considerably more. You might try checking the online gun auctions to see what it might fetch in original matching condition before you part it out.

I still have an an Argie manufactured 09 Calvary Carbine it's action is ok but no where near as good as the German made sniper rifle.

Bear in mind the Bluebook price I gave you was from a 5 year old book. it could possibly be worth considerably more. You might try checking the online gun auctions to see what it might fetch in original matching condition before you part it out.

I guess I didn't mention it before but this one is a german made rifle. (DWM)

I stripped it down yesterday just to see what it looks like under the wood. It's perfect except the bore is a little dark but may clean up.

• 5 months later...

You might wish to leave it as is, the 7.65 is a great cartridge. It falls between the .308 and the 30-06. In good M98 actions in can be loaded hotter than standard (which is based on the M91 action). At one time Norma had some really hot 150grn. loads on the market but they disapeared, prehaps problems in M91 actions.

I have original boxed 7.65 ammo mfg. by Winchester and UMC, it's FMJ but both companies also loaded SP versions and Winchester chambered the model 54 and the model 70 for this cartridge. It was this cartridge and the 1889 Mauser for which FN was established, and the 1889 Mauser was the only Mauser ever built in America.

Barnes, "Cartridges of the World" gives some good data on it, but Ken Waters "Pet Loads" has the best info. Better loads than the 7.62x51 NATO with better velocity and less pressure. The last project I planned was a 7.65 lightweight on a Euro classic stock, but bad health cut that short.

You can tell when you're getting old when the guys you get togather with on Wednesday night are doctors and lawyers examining your health, DNR, and Living Will. But denial really ends when you look in the mirror and see a blue eyed, white rasin, and your look down and see white pubic hair. I guess the final insult is when viewing phorno you reaction is that it looks really messy. Bill