Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Report

karlunity

It was a good day.

Cost about 12 bucks to get in but I found a fella selling 8mm brass at $ 14 for 50 shells, 100 3006

cases for $ 18 and 100, 200 gr FMJ .308 for $ 14.

I stocked up for the summer.

All I need now is a can or two of " Red Dot'.

Happy Karl

PS. I also found this great magnifier lens for $ 6..: )

huh. I was at ontario and the only 8mm brass I found was 15/50, once fired WW.

selection seemed thin, and the 1 set of 7.7 jap dies I found was $33. no 7.7 jap brass :(.

still, $12 in the right pockets, not hollywood's pockets, and it's always fun.

No gun shows to speak of, but today i did recieve my reciever for the 338-06 project, and hand threaded the barrel on to it. Still got to tighten her down and ream it out. Tomorrow, hopefully, i'll go pay for the two K. Kales that i bought here a while back. And also go pay for my 1917 Obendorf here pretty soon. Like me and Rod were talking today, just when you think your not going to get any good mausers, all of a sudden they come in hordes. Makes me happy

Brenden

Sometimes you get Lucky. : )

What I would like to know is how they can sell AKs when they are banned in Cali?

There was a firm toward the rear that had a whole table of AK's going for about 600 bucks a gun.

Does taking the pistol grip off, make they legal? If so what is the story when you put the grip back on to go to the range?

Karl

huh. I was at ontario and the only 8mm brass I found was 15/50, once fired WW.

selection seemed thin, and the 1 set of 7.7 jap dies I found was $33. no 7.7 jap brass :(.

Both the 8MM and 7.7 are easily formed from 30/06 brass. I did hundreds back in the 70's, 7.65 also when the only way the odd brass could be bought was as new ammo and US GI 30/06 brass was abundant and cheap.

just when you think your not going to get any good mausers, all of a sudden they come in hordes. Makes me happy

Brenden

That only happens to me when I'm broke!! I missed the gunshow today, possibly I'll get there tomorrow. Hate to miss it as it is the last big one before the heat becomes unbearable. There is always 1 or 2 small shows during the summer in air conditioning but table prices are so high the hobbyist doesn't buy tables and the pros not having any competition from the little guy jack up prices.

Sometimes you get Lucky. : )

What I would like to know is how they can sell AKs when they are banned in Cali?

There was a firm toward the rear that had a whole table of AK's going for about 600 bucks a gun.

Does taking the pistol grip off, make they legal? If so what is the story when you put the grip back on to go to the range?

Karl

CA law bans AWs 2 ways. one, by make and model, e.g., "Colt's AR-15." That was the roberti-roos AW ban of 1989, in reflex to the stockton schoolyard shooting by patrick purdey. he used an AK. next was the 1999 ban, effective in 2000, banning AWs my series and features. in response to Colt's selling the HBAR instead of the AR-15, the 1999 legislation (SB 23, IIRC) made all "AR- series" firearms AWs. understandable, but not easy to do. the other way was by features - semi-auto CF rifles could not have more than 1 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil feature, those being detachable mag, PG, FH, and I think folding or collapsible stock. so, if the AK has no PG, it can be sold with a detachable mag. if the mag requires a tool to remove, ii is not "detachable," so it may have a PG.

what you saw was a careful application of the current CA adminstrative laws. "PG" means a projection for grasping where the web of the hand can be placed acound, below aline formed by the top of the trigger. that's why some ARs had grips with a web from the stock to the PG. or the AKs had no PGs. or ARs had a mag release button you have to poke with a sharp tool (like a bulet point, a tool per the CA DOJ) to use.

it's tricky line-walking pioneered by evan's in orange before they got their official AW permit.

all the details above are from memory and if not perfectly accurate are close enough for internet work; I will be glad to be more helpful if you have any questions.

ETA: The "series" ban was overturned by a court case, so the "AR- series" guns are no longer banned as AWs. that' why you can get an AR- or AK- style gun, if it does not say "AR" or "AK" on it, if you follow the eeeeeeeeeeeevil features rules.

When I think of KA gun laws, I imagine a lot of politicians running around with oversized, floppy shoes, while squeezing their noses to make honking sounds.

Are unconstitutional laws enforcable?

In this unhappy state I fear that a lot of law that I or any reasonable man would consider unenforcible would be enforced.

I have no wish to register an AK type rifle only to get a visit for the Cali DOJ.

If I cannot take it to the range and fire it without a hand grip and I cannot put a grip on it, why buy it?

I will move to a freer state when I retire.

But it has been 30 years since I held an AK and I had forgotten just how nice they are to handle.

Karl

I have no wish to register an AK type rifle only to get a visit from the CA DOJ.

If I cannot take it to the range and fire it without a hand grip and I cannot put a grip on it, why buy it?

well the gripless types are not bad to fire, actually. and the non-detachable mag versions feel just fine. it is less than ideal, to be sure, but it works.