Military Firearm Restoration Corner

One Of My First Builds.

Sailormilan2

Looks like the 39.75 grs. and 168 Hornadays would be hard to improve on.That was some dang good shootin.That sure is a purty bolt handle too.

Now,about the rifle rest.Is it made from a leaf out of a axle spring? It's a handy,good looking rest.Jerry

The rifle rest was one I bought years ago. I found it is a little too flexible for serious bench shooting. I have religated it to holding rifles for pics as well as holding rifles while bedding compound cures.

What I find interesting about the ATI stock, is that if used as I am using it, it looks very similar to many "Tactical" stocks out there. The forend is broad and flat, so makes it easy to sand bag. The barrel channel the stock is hollow, so I wrapped the barrel with black electricians tape and filled the barrel channel with expanding foam. Once that had hardened, I coated it with epoxy bedding compound to strengthen it. The recoil pad on the ATI stock have about as much give as a rock and is rounded, so it was replaced with a standard style recoil pad.

The rifle is currently finished in KG Coatings bake-on Flat Black. I am giving serious consideration to refinishing it with black/dark grey Manganese Parkerizing, then painting it with KG Coatins Olive Drab/Green. The Manganese style park has a rougher texture than the older medium grey zinc park, and gives a better surface for the paint to stick to prior to baking.

I am also thinking about redoing the bolt handle with one of those tactial sytle handles, primarily to get a little longer handle. The tactical handle is about 1/2" longer than standard, and would give a little more leverage.

Hey sm2, good looking rifle, the range report looks good too...Dave