Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fr 8 Mauser

juan_matus

An FR8 (Model 98 action) is safe enough. It may suffer setback after extensive firing, so monitor headspace over the life of the rifle. It is not likely to "blow up" or suffer catastrophic failure. It would be a progressive problem if it develops headspace issues.

Clemson

An FR8 (Model 98 action) is safe enough. It may suffer setback after extensive firing, so monitor headspace over the life of the rifle. It is not likely to "blow up" or suffer catastrophic failure. It would be a progressive problem if it develops headspace issues.

Clemson

What Clemson said. +1

Vlad

Juan, welcome to the board, hope to see you here more often. It is my understanding from what I've read on the net and elsewhere. The ammo used by Spain for these rifles was loaded to shoot at a lower pressure than the 7.62 as used by other countries in the NATO alliance. If you're a reloader I suggest you use 300 Savage or 30/30 loading data and your FR8 should last a long time. If you intend to use the rifle for hunting you might want to consider using Remington's 308 Reduced Recoil ammo.