Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Load Suggestions

Not to long ago somebody posted some 458 loading data using 2400 powder for a low pressure load for 458 Winnie. I have some Remington jacketed 405 gr slugs meant for the 45/70 I got in a horse trade that are beggin to be shot up. Any suggestions using 2400 would be apprecited.

I want to get a mild load to get the irons close after a failed attempt trying to sigh it in with brutal factory ammo. I want to try and get the sights close with plinking ammo, then tweak it later for factory or max loads. In the future I'll be shooting it with mild loaded cast, gas checked lead bullets as the cost of 500 gr jacketed bullets or other 45 cal bullets meant for the belted mags is way out of line for punching holes in paper. The chances of me using the 458 for any serious hunting is pretty slim unless I manage to beat the long odds, luck out and get picked for Bison. There just isn't any big game in Arizona that my 35 Whelen or 30/30 can't handle.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen any data for 2400. I use reloader 7 and IMR 4064 with the 405's. I have seen data for low pressure loads with 4064. I have also seen internet data for Red Dot. I found a bunch with a search of the forums at Accurate Reloading.

thought it was me but I can't find it. I don't know where my lyman and lee manuals are right now, pretty sure it's in the lyman.

found the lyman. 385 gr cast, 25.0 gr. 2400 for 1310 fps, 31.0 for 1565. 482 gr cast 24.0 for 1240, 30.0 for 1480. guess you will have to extrapolate, or just use the 385 data b/c the jacketed bullet will probably generate a little more pressure. WLR primers, win cases, tested in a ruger #1, all per lyman's 47th.

enjoy

thought it was me but I can't find it. I don't know where my lyman and lee manuals are right now, pretty sure it's in the lyman.

found the lyman. 385 gr cast, 25.0 gr. 2400 for 1310 fps, 31.0 for 1565. 482 gr cast 24.0 for 1240, 30.0 for 1480. guess you will have to extrapolate, or just use the 385 data b/c the jacketed bullet will probably generate a little more pressure. WLR primers, win cases, tested in a ruger #1, all per lyman's 47th.

enjoy

Thx plumbum. Following your lead I found some data using 2400 for cast slugs in my old Lyman cast bullet manuals. They didn't have a 405 cast slug but I was able to derive enough information to make a good guesstimate. Shot the load tonight and for the first time the 458 was really pleasant to shoot. Recoil felt about like a 308 or 270. The range's night lights aren't much good past 35 yards so I didn't get to check the accuracy on paper. Using a rock as a target into the dirt mound at about 125 yards I put 4 shots real close. My shooting bud did even better aiming about a foot high into the 200 yard berm he put 16 shots into about a 6 inch diameter rock hitting it and breaking it apart on the 15th shot.

I now have a re-newed interest in 2400. After buying a can for the 458. I also put some gas checked, cast bullet, 44 mag loads together. A bit to much recoil from my 4 inch S&W Model 29 to enjoy shooting it continuously but the 35 yard accuracy from my Rossi lever action rifle really surprised me it was so good. Previously I was using Unique and Herco. I also put some 357 and 41 mag, gas checked, cast bullet loads together using 2400 but I tired out and left the range before I got a chance to try them. One thing for certain, the 2400's muzzle flash really gets one's attention when shooting at night time.

EDIT: I used 30 grs of 2400.

Hey AZ, muzzle flashes at night are always a sight to see..Sorta like a flame thrower spittin a out

a lugie...Have fun bud....Dave

Hey AZ, muzzle flashes at night are always a sight to see..Sorta like a flame thrower spittin a out

a lugie...Have fun bud....Dave

Love the comparison, a flame thrower's lugie!! The 2400 sure would be a bad choice for a self-defense load. The flash is bright enough to screw with the shooter's eyesight. I was shooting it under a bright fluorescent light, in total darkness it would be blinding.