Military Firearm Restoration Corner

First Blood For The New Rifle

Clemson

Well, I was taking some downtime at the farm this weekend. I decided to sit in a deerstand between two pastures late in the afternoon to see if any wild hogs showed up. I hadn't been in the stand five minutes when I saw "Wiley" cutting across the field. 257 Roberts with 87 grain PSP at 100 yards. I had just sighted in the scope on Friday. Unlucky for the coyote.

Unlucky_Coyote.jpg

Clemson :)

Coyotes in South Carolina were sort of rare up until around 10 years ago when they apparently spread across the state. There are very few dedicated coyote hunters -- Most seem to be shot by deer hunters. They have very little holding them back. There are no predators that I can name that threaten their population other than man. They sure do work on our deer, turkey, quail and bunny populations. There are reports, unconfirmed by me, that they have been known to kill calves.

z1r, PM if you need a reamer.

Clemson

257 Roberts; 87 grains; hogs? Nice load for coyote. Never used it on hogs just 117 grs. on small-medium hogs through chest cavity and they typically run 30 yards, or so. You must have more confidence regarding placement. Maybe there really isn't that much difference? What has been your experience?

We aren't talking big pigs here. The average is less than 75 pounds. Big pigs get a head shot. 87 grains through the ear should work on most anything!

Clemson B)

My huntin buddy uses a .243 on hogs.He eats'm,so he shots them in the ear so he doesn't mess up any meat and don't have to look for them in the thick Texas thorn brush.He killed one as big as a VW bug a couple years ago with the .243.Anything but a head shot would've just hare-lipped it. We've got jillions of song dogs,and even have them right here at my house that I figure are looking for house cats.Jerry

I like the small medium bores 6mm-6.5mm if that's what they are called. I've gotten sidetracked by by fascination with the 6.5's lately but will definitely NEED to finsh my 257. I think it would be nigh on un-american not to have a Mauser so chambered, don't you.

As for pigs, the guide that last took me out used a well worn Howa in .223 rem. One shot, behind the ear, bang, dead BIG pig. Would I try that, no. But then again, placement is everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Clemson was he a spinner i like to shoot them a little far back so i can watch them spin

we have tons of coyotes around here and if the weather stays cool enough we hunt them at night i usually use my 222 rem

the worst i have ever seen them was when i was hunting in mexico you could shoot four or five of them at one setting they arent educated over there as the average guy doesnt drive a round with a rifle in the truck most of the time they just stand there and stare at you they also eat the corn in your senderos if you wait long enough you can line two up for one shot pretty cool when you have two spinners in your sendero at the same time

glad to see you putting that nice 257 to work so soon

james

Yup! He was trotting along and never would stop, so I shot him on the move. You can see that I hit him back about 6" from the optimum spot. He made 4-5 spins before going down.

Clemson :ph34r:

• 5 months later...