Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Greatest Generation

Clemson

I had a very interesting experience this morning. I was invited to speek to a men's breakfast meeting at a retirement home. Most of the fellows at the meeting were WWII vets. At least one of them also remembered WWI, although he wasn't in it. He is 101 years old and sharp as a tack. I digress........

The subject that I was asked to talk about was Gunsmithing. I took my toolbox, a few parts and pieces, some barrels, stocks, actions, etc., and a finished rifle or two, a couple of 1911's, and a couple of shotguns that I had worked on. I also had an M1 carbine.

I talked about getting into gunsmithing, my background, and what I liked to do. Then the stories started to pop out.

One guy picked up the carbine and noted that he had been issued a Garand because "only officers got these things."

Another landed at Omaha beach armed with a Grease Gun. He said that as soon as he made his way in from the beach, he was met by soldiers who advised him to throw away the M3 and get a handfull of rocks.

One guy recalled that he had trained with an Enfield and later an '03. He liked the Enfield but said the Springfield was more accurate (though it kicked worse). He was issued a Garand to carry in France. He liked his Garand (which he pronounced with a soft "G" as "Jer-rand'."), but he noted that he learned to fight with the bayonet and had used one in close-quarters combat.

Several guys had never seen a beavertail safety on a .45 auto. They liked the idea.

One guy had been an Airborne Infantry Officer in the gliders (in Italy).

They were all as polite as could be. One gave me a hand-carved walking stick. I thanked them that I was speaking English instead of German.

Clemson

Another landed at Omaha beach armed with a Grease Gun. He said that as soon as he made his way in from the beach, he was met by soldiers who advised him to throw away the M3 and get a handfull of rocks.

Clemson

Dad was a tank commander 3rd Army ( Patton ), I thought that he said that this was the one he liked.

Maybe because he could get it in and out of the hatch easily.

Don't know much about it, why would they say "throw away the M3 and get a handfull of rocks." ?

Tinker